Recommended pain meds?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am going back to my surgeon on Wednesday and getting prepared for the meeting. As I fear I will be quite tearful when asked "and how are you" (I arrived at the office this morning in tears) I want to have a list at the ready with all the points to be discussed so we keep it very factual.

The elephant in the room is having to have my knee bent under anesthetic as the bend is still only at 80 after 6 weeks. So with this we will also have to discuss pain medication.

I cannot take any opiates (pethidine, tramadol or whatever they are called in the UK) and the pain meds I am on are a bit hit and miss or have stopped working really. But after the manual bend, I am pretty sure I will be in lots of pain again so my question to you all out there: which (strong) pain meds have you received which you can recommend so I can discuss with my surgeon if we have an equivalent over here??

Your feedback would be SUUUUUPER appreciated. Thanks so much!

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I too had major problems with the painkillers.  My stomach may never recover.  The ones that I seem to handle the best were just Tylenol 3, which is prescribed. The drugs put me off so bad I was so sick to my stomach for three to four weeks,  I ended up losing 15 pounds in two weeks because I brought everything up.  This was about two weeks after my surgery.  So I ca understand about the meds.  Even. After I stopped them, my stomach was a mess.  I tell my dr. Now I need baby doses.

My stomach has improved but it's still very sensitive.  My surgery was July 23.  My biggest concern is my knee hurts terrible for the first few steps, but seems to go near pain free after.  If I keep moving it's fine, but after sleeping or even sitting it awful when I first move.  I've even gone back to grabbing my cane to ease into those first steps.

i keep being optimistic that it will come soon.  My surgeon says it's probably soft tissue damage. 

I do honestly believe most benefit greatly from this surgery.  It's just not easy.  Even with the pain I have it's nothing compared to before the surgery.

good luck, keep us updated.

• Posted

Thank you for your update on your progress   . I was worried that I can barely walk after sitting or first thing in morning..  eases slightly but I am far from giving up my crutches..... I am 8 weeks today after TKR.   I feel I should be doing better  .  But need to be patient I suppose..  its very reassuring to read other people's stories...  
  • Posted

Mary...is your leg stiff or is it painful when you first walk?  I feel mine is more pain than stiff, but the movement definitely eases the pain..

• Posted

bit of both really.    takes a while to get moving....  exercises are very tiring and..I'm in  agony for a few hours later.. getting really fed up now.... not been out of house for over a month. 
    • Posted

Have you tried short walks outside with your crutches? I found it did me good just to get some fresh air. 
    • Posted

Hi Mary

You are not alone.

I am 8 weeks today and my knee feels terrible first thing when I wake (very tight, rubber bandy) so I do the exercises in bed before I get up. It takes me a minute or so to wriggle.my knee and foot before I can take my first step / set off.

I still use two crutches when I go out (have only been out a few times in 8 weeks to physio etc ) as I don't feel my walk is good enough to manage with one and I don't want to end up with a limp after all this!

And I don't feel stable yet using just one crutch. I have to say those rubber ends of the crutches can be dangerous as they slip in the wet and that is a very frightening feeling!!

My bend is 90 and try all the time to get it further but it feels like the replacement is too big for my knee and is excruciating trying to get it any further than it will go - how is your bend?

• Posted

Tracey   You sound almost exactly at the same stage as me!.... might sound like a daft question but.... how do you measure the bend??.. I think mine is pretty good but no idea of measurement....

Mary

• Posted

hello mary ... not a daft question at all. you need a special tool (looks like two rulers stuck together) which the doctors and physios have. you cannot measure that yourself. again, this is why it is important to be monitored by a physio so you can keep on top of the bend. the bend and stretch are everything. i got up to 100 on the bendy machine last night, no cheating! but that is what they call a passive bend (the machine is doing it for you) and the active bend is when you do it for yourself which is not good on me ... last time we measured, 80 or 85. i will have it x-rayed tomorrow so this will put my mind at rest that everything is well with the joint itself - and please god no bones growing where they shouldn't be!! - and that the tightness is just the soft tissue which has fused.
    • Posted

Hi Mary

Yes we do seem to be - wouldn't say my bend is great but . . .

The physio measures it - she seems to use the bend as guide when I am lying flat on the bench and then I bring my knee up as far as possible as opposed to measuring it when I am sitting on a chair!

Are you driving yet?

• Posted

Hi Britta

Best of luck tomorrow! Wait to hear how you get on.

I am 8 weeks today and am at 90 (but only got there in the last week or so); my appointment is on 17th November for check up and possible discussion about manipulation so I really feel for you. Scary thought even if it not that bad after.

I took morphine in hospital but had it changed to Oxycodone (time release type) but I also took and still take when needed Oxycodone Hydrochloride which is the immediate release version and is fab!

I take Naproxen as and when - short term this is ok but it is strong and long term or if it doesn't suit can cause terrible stomach problems and even a bleed. My mother had been taking this last year and was literally on the verge of a bleed but she / her GO recognised symptoms and stopped in time.

The other thing that has helped especially at night is a low dose (4mg) of Diazepam which I can take three times a day.

I use ice on the knee but a hot water bottle / wheat bag above / below and under my knee too and then some good old paracetamol as and when.

All the best Tracey

• Posted

hi tracey

thanks for the names of the meds you have been taking. unfortunately, other than the naproxen, the others are - according to wikipedia - all opiates or opiate derivatives and i had some pretty spectacularly bad reactions to those in hospital which ended up with a greys anatomy like scene where the red button had to be hit and 5 nurses had to lift me back into bed (in and out of consciousness) and me screaming blue murder :-) i am staying well away of those!!

i cannot believe how many suffer at night. yes, i am not totally comfy but nothing like some of you all. i guess we have to spread the ailments amongst us. just as well really, it is tough enough as it is.

i thought i was having a bad day yesterday but made myself get on the bendy machine while watching the telly. without cheating i actually managed 100. but i did then have to get up at 2 o'clock and pop a paracetemol. no pain, no gain. sigh!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.