Recovering from depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

If anyone is feeling well now, can you please tell me if low mood and motivation are the last symptoms to lift? I've only been in higher dose for 24 days, and seen other improvements

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm glad you've seen other improvements - after taking a certain anti-depressant pill for several weeks I've found my mood has been lifted.  I would say that has been the first symptom I've recognized.
    • Posted

I'm pleased that's happened for you. Wednesday I was busy all day....went for massage, shopped, trimmed from hedge...congratulated myself. Yesterday I went to see new baby in afternoon....chatting with parents and sounding fine, but with that low feeling inside. I'm meeting my daughter for lunch at 1, but I've cried all morning! Mind you, the weather is dull.... That never helps my mood. I'm trying my VERY best....I just want that smile back in my diaphragm where I feel low.
  • Posted

Hi iris

After 4 different ADs, from my experience once you get the right AD it's almost instant improvement which gets better and better. What AD are you on and how long have you been taking it? I was on one AD for six months and cried buckets and felt unwell the whole time! You can usually gauge if it's going to work around the six week mark. Some people would say give it longer but I wouldn't be one of them! I think the goal should be recovery in the quickest time possible! ♥

• Posted

Hi Lorraine....I'm taking sertraline. I got up to 150mg last year after a bereavement and I defied death myself in summer. By November I was quite strong again but had a big blowup with my daughter. We didn't speak until into March. I'd been strong for those 3 months, but as soon as we started speaking again, I started crying and crying, and all the stress came out. My doc increased my dose 24 days ago, and I'm not too bad, but I can't shift this flat mood, which leads to lack of motivation of course.
    • Posted

Hi iris

lack of motivation and energy is the hard part and shows your depression hasn't lifted yet. I would give it another week and if no improvement i would definitely go back to the docs. Your mood and motivation will return as soon as your meds start doing their work. In the meantime be kind to yourself with plenty of rest xxx

• Posted

Thanks Lorraine. The manufacturers Google article says up to 6 weeks to start noticing an improvement, and up to 8 weeks to see full improvement. It's not altogether easy is it? They do say that low mood is the last to lift. I'm doing everything to encourage myself! Hell I'd hate to have to change meds!!!! It's rough
  • Posted

Iris, I am so happy to hear you are starting to see the light again.  Depression sneaks up on us and, once we take charge by getting on an AD, it will kind of slowly sneak back out.  There are so many ADs out there and it is all trial and error for the docs.  I have been on Paxil, after tying maybe 6 others that made me stare at the walls, huddle under the covers, become paranoid or that just made me sicker.  I think 6 weeks is a long time to see improvement.  I was doing so much better after 2 weeks (and therapy) and I was thrilled.  I didn't have 6 weeks to wait, I was in the bottom of an abyss.  Glad yours is working for you.  Are you also in therapy?  With a good therapist, you can move mountains.
    • Posted

Thanks for your kind words! I seem to be getting thru the side effects now...phew! I've still got that sad/tense feeling in my diaphragm which doesn't help motivation. All my problems started last year when I had a bereavement, then I almost died myself. Then my daughter and I didn't speak for 3 months...I've had a lot of stress. I'm eating/sleeping well, done some gardening this week. But this is still only day 24 of increased dose, but I want that little smiley back in my diaphragm area!
  • Posted

Well, you "hit bottom" emotionally, and definitely you want to be better.  Those are, in fact, the best motivators.  Glad you are seeing improvements!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.