Recovering from extreme anxiety attacks?

Posted , 4 users are following.

A few days ago, I had a terrible anxiety attack, far worse than any I've ever had. I had blurred vision, shortness of breath, tachycardia, very high blood pressure, feeling like I was going to pass out, etc. Because it was so extreme, random and very much not like my typical anxiety attacks, I made the decision to head to the ER just in case. I was kept overnight just because they wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with my heart (due to the high blood pressure and rapid heart rate). I only got an hour of sleep that night and wasn't allowed to eat or drink at all because they had wanted to do another CT scan. However, they decided there really was nothing wrong with my heart and I was discharged that afternoon.

Yesterday, I had the same exact anxiety attack at the same exact time, but with different symptoms, ones that again made me go to the ER just in case. Not finding anything truly wrong physical health wise, I was sent home after just an hour there. And now today, I'm still struggling with the recovery from the extreme anxiety attacks.

I'm extremely exhausted, heavy headed (though I do suspsect I have a bit of a head cold), constantly anxious (unless I take the Ativan I was given from the hospital) and still rather weak. I think part of my weakness could be from still getting back into my normal eating habits after not being able to for almost 24 hours. Because of my hypochondria, the fact that I'm having these symptoms is only making my anxiety worse. Has anyone else had really bad, random bouts of anxiety like this? If so, how long did it take to completely recover from this? 

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

I feel your pain. Been to er by ambulance several times in months. Always clear but continue to have same systoms. Now mind is just about all day every day. Thank God for a great daughter who tries and talk me thru it. And this awesome site here where we all come together and can relate. I hope u find some relief. Wish u the best
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You're very lucky to have your daughter there to talk you through it! I feel the same about my mother. Because she also suffers from anxiety, she's been helping me through everything these past few days. Because my hypochondria is mainly what's causing these attacks, she's always making sure to remind me that my blood work came back normal, they checked my eyes and motor skills and those were all normal, etc. Unfortunately, with anxiety, those words help for only a bit before it starts up again. 

I hope you find relief soon as well and thank you for the comment!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I've been there.  Basically, you have one bad attack and then you have the fear that it will happen again so it does.  Getting past it will be when you realize there is nothing physically wrong with you and you stop being afraid of the next one.  I know its easier said then done.  Try to distract yourself with other things that you enjoy.  Exercise is also key.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

A bad panic attack will last me days.. It has taken up to 11 days before to recover from my worst one.. I had a bad one Monday night that convinced me I had a heart attack.. I'm just now slowly coming off of that. It takes time. If they kept you that long to monitor, you can be assured it's your mind. Just tell yourself it is anxiety. You need to stand up to it and not let it get the best of you

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The two that I had were ones that convinced me I was having a heart attack as well. Two CT scans, one X-Ray and a bunch of blood work later, it seemed like there was definitely no way it was anything but anxiety. But of course, with how anxiety works, I'm now thinking that it's something with my brain, something the doctors didn't check. When in reality, my symptoms are definitely related to a head cold of some sort. Anxiety sucks, but as you said, the most important thing is standing up to it and not letting it get to you. Which is easier said than done but we'll all stand up to it eventually.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You are so not alone. Blood oressure spikes during all this at times as well which adds in all weirder symptoms and leaves you all messed up for a bit. Its some kind of cycle it can have effects for a week or a few weeks then kind if reregulates and all is well. The time varies. Im windering how much the bp plays a role. You cant just regulate the bp because its frim the anxiety so its interesting. I tried that did not go well at all. As soon as the bp calms doen then you feel sick from the bp meds so you kind of have to wait it out. Im waiting now. Its so anooying. Imdidnt eat much last week dropped weight so fast now slowly starting to eat. Still off kilter though. It does and can get very bad and it does and can effect the body big time but temporarily. How could it not. Its not just thiughts after the sdrenaline keeps shooting off.Then its the bodies reaction to all of it. It starts as thiughts i think. It will wear off and reregulate be patient, which is easy to say.

if you can take meds and some can not and some dont work that well then maybe give that try.

they do nit have a correct scam for this. Or they do and i dont know what its called. But its the nervous system and the the effects of the adrenlaine. They dint tend to check all that or they dont  know how. The heart isnt the cause its just it gets the effects of the adrenaline. 

The er just stabilizes people and sometimes gives a scan. A therapist might be more useful.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up