recovery after TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

Iam 9 weeks post op and having the most terrible thigh cramps at night, The surgeon says it is nohing to do with surgery but it only started after the surgery. It is 3am and I am still up and walking trying to stop the pain. as soon as I sit or lie it starts again. Please can anyone help. Am taking Magnesium but to no avail

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I get thigh pain too at 8 weeks, so much so that Icant lay on operated side because of it.   Surgeon said it was to do with surgery as its nerves waking up
  • Posted

I think these pains are muscle spasms due to all theexercising and walking in a different way. Have you tried heat to the area? Or maybe just cutting down on activity for a day or two.
  • Posted

It could be due to dehydration. The meds taken often dehydrate and along with less appetite we often have less thirst. Try drinking more water and you may have benefit. This works for my spasms and discomfort.
  • Posted

I had both TKRs. One in April 2013 the other in July 2013. I suffered leg cramps for months and months and then I spoke to my GP and he prescribed Quinine tablets.  It was like magic; almos completely disappeared. I have only had it once since. I also have a friend who is a GP and I spoke to her and she sonfirmed that she always prescribed Quinine tablets for night cramps.  Hope this helps!

• Posted

Thank you so much. Have app with Doc today . Was in tears at 4am this morning.
  • Posted

Try to recall the way you were walking prior to tkr. Just a guess but I would think you have changed considerably. If that's a case you are having to recondition your entire body to the change and that is putting a strain on every part of your anatomy. Try walking slower, taking distinct heel, ball of the foot, toe steps that will put less strain on the system. In the meantime ice an elevate. Take a good antiinflammatory. BTW ,most docs will never admit anything is their fault. They operate, now you get well according to the text book.
    • Posted

Thank you for  the comments about the docs. I was so upset when he said that. Have app with my gp today. will ask for anti inflammatory.

• Posted

I've just found out after a hunch from my gp  that one of my legs is an inch shorter.  He got my physiotherapist to measure at my last appointment I'm 5.5months post TKR I've been having lots of pain at night and when moving from sitting too standing in my hip knee thigh and shin  .    See my consultant in March too see what he says may have to have shoe built up.
    • Posted

My mother had that problem with hip replacement and had to have the shoe work done. It gave her instant relief and she lived another 13 years and never slowed down till the last year of her life
  • Posted

Hi jen. . I have been having these muscle spasms since I woke up from the op... I was prescribed diazepam but only short term.. so now I find massaging my legs at night and drinking tonic water helps .. I think dehydration does play a part.. I also take magnesium. .
    • Posted

P's. .. I am 20 weeks post TKR.
    • Posted

You are a genius. I bought a bottle of Tonic water yesterday and had a glass as soon as I felt them start. After 10 mins they stopped. I was at the docs today and he has prescribed Quinine tabs. Thats whats in the tonic that  helps, he said. I live in Australia so I was not sure if my doc could prescribe them so am pleased.

Thank you so very much.

• Posted

You are very welcome. Just wish I had known before suffering months and months of cramps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.