Recovery experience and advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm currently awaiting my surgery date (ventral mesh rectopexy and resection) and thought I'd see if anyone have any (non-medical) tips or advice that worked for them in easing their recovery and providing a bit of comfort?

I'm at a bit of a loose end by the letterbox waiting for the letter and I'm sure I'm not the only one in a bit of a waiting limbo, so preparing for after the operation would help make feel like I'm actually doing something to take a bit of control back from my current loose-end existence! 

It was suggested to me that post-partum leggings might be good to have, depending on whether the support would be too constricting  - has anyone tried them? Also, peppermint tea/oil, night dresses (for swelling/catheterisation) and a well charged kindle : )

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Take regular pain relief although that's sort of medical. Don't wait for the pain to reach a peak. Rest for 2 weeks with feet up. I'm not sure about post partum leggings (not something I've seen in the UK). After pelvic floor surgery these could cause constriction of blood vessels and there's a risk of thrombosis. You should only wear the DVT stockings that may be recommended by nursing staff. The main non medical tip is rest for 2 weeks with short walks every hour but more importantly any good urogynaecologist/nurse will give you medical and non medical advice. That's the most important.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice, Matron. I've looked after many patients who have suffered unduly trying to cope with pain, refusing analgesia only for it it to become unbearable and then been difficult to control and manage. 

The leggings were recommended by friends that have had caesareans; they said that they have a wide and high band that sat much higher than their incision which was comfortable but like you, I too am wary about unofficial compression! 

• Posted

Is your surgery abdominal?  Mine was vaginal and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't have abdominal pain and where the band on my pants were would have made no difference.   The pain was very specifically vaginal.  I did want soft comfy clothes - yoga pants and t shirts were fine for me, though.

• Posted

Nurses make the worst patients. A Caesarean section is different to the surgery you are having!!
    • Posted

Oh I know it's a different surgery, completely different, I just mentioned it to further the point that it is most definitely an "unofficial" suggestion made by my friends rather than anyone involved in my care! x

• Posted

I found Sue Croft's book on recovering from gynaecological surgery to be helpful.  It should be available for kindle. 

I read a recommendation on a hysterectomy site to set up your recovery nest ahead of time and that worked really well for me. I had some water bottles and protein bars and snacks so that I could get myself some food without asking for help. I also had a tv and DVDs set up, but to be honest at first TV was too much.  Reading, too.  Audiobooks were much more my speed and I checked them out, digitally, from my library.  I had trouble sleeping and was pretty tired for quite a while.  I also caught a nasty bug from my kids while recovering.

I also found a peri bottle to be helpful.  Use with lukewarm water.  I don't know if they are available in the U.K. But in the US they give them out after childbirth and it makes going to the bathroom more comfortable.  Things are very tender so you can only gently dab after you pee.  I found it more pleasant (and I felt cleaner) to rinse and dab.  Not necessary by any means, but nice.

• Posted

Hi Dorry, thank you for your suggestions. I've been spending a lot of my time in a pre-operative nest of late, so will make sure to continue that through my recovery! 

To your above post, it's abdominal surgery I'm having, I will seek to get some looser, comfier and less synthetic clothing! 

That's really good advice about the peri bottle for women who have had vaginal surgery. Google doesn't seem to suggest that they are too common in the UK, but they are available on eBay as "perineal lavage bottles". 

• Posted

Ah, I see.  Things will be a bit different if it is abdominal.  Hysterectomy sites with people talking about abdominal hysterectomies might have some good ideas that won't pop up here.  It's sounds like it is a very extensive surgery.  I'm guessing you will need to be extra diligent about getting lots of rest and not pushing it.  Good Luck!  I hope you get a lot of relief fm it.  I'm very glad I hadn't my surgery, even though it was a slow recovery for me.

• Posted

Thank you for your well wishes, Dorry. I've read quite a few experiences of the surgery on a hysterectomy forum; the universal experience seems to be that the recovery took much longer than originially anticipated! I feel that I'm a bit between a rock and a hard place as I now need the surgery and am looking forward to the respite hopefully at the end of the tunnel, but am also quite fearful of the whole process. 

• Posted

I agree with everyone else that rest is easy and good diet and fluids! Also to keep moving on a regular basis. I had a laparoscopy for extensive adhesions removal and assessment of my enterocele (also extensive...clearly no half measures with me!!) prior to vaginal surgery.  So far the lap incisions (especially the umbilical and drainage ones) have been the most painful/uncomfortable and I am only able to wear tights in the last couple of days. The pressure of the tights was too uncomfortable rolleyes

would also thoroughy recommend avoiding additional illness (okay this may be impossible) have just spent the last few days bed bound with a dental abscess following from root canal surgery that I had between my two surgeries.  Two lots of abx and terrible effects on my bowels sad has been the pits. Three more days of the not so bad abx to go and then I will be taking some probiotics...I sound like a drain...

I only had a catheter over night so I wore the hospital special and popped my drain bag into my dressing gown pocket.

I hope your wait is not too long! 

• Posted

Easy? No essential, I find it anything but easy...
    • Posted

Oh Mossup! You poor thing! Dental pain on top of all that; what an ordeal! I hope that things start to pick up for you. 

I spoke with the admissions team this morning and they said that a pre-assessment appointment hadn't been booked for me... The next available appointment isn't till April - I just despair! I've requested that they speak to my consultant to see if anything can be done - fingers crossed!

• Posted

It was the pits!  But feeling loads better smile but was feeling sorry for myself as literally couldn't get off the toilet (even though there was no straining I was worried about my repair) sorry for tmi but so ironic given my previous issues in this department cheesygrin

oh Edith that must be frustrating to be so close but still with the last few hurdles!! I hope you do get a cancellation, have they given you any idea of when your op will be?

i know your op is different from what some of us have but this time round it has felt good pretty much from day one.  The hardest part is resting smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.