Recovery from Green Light Prostatscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my GL procedure a week ago. The day after, I had the catheter removed. Had problem urinating. Had to re recatheterized. They then removed it 4 days later. Currently I have to urinate every 15 to 20 minutes. Stream is narrow and of medium strength, with burning at the end of urinating. I have to strain to get it started. When can I expect for things to get better?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello Tom..Was this the only procedure offered to you and did you look it up before you had it done.  I just read a piece on it and it said that a older man should have good out come the first day after the catheter is removed.  The burning is from the catheter.  There is no lube in the urethra so it will burn for a couple of days.  The side effects are many and I hope your ready for them.  You may be one of the lucky ones.  Good luck anymore problem see your doctor...Ken
  • Posted

I think your prostate is still swelling from the procedure.  It will go down.  I hope it will get better.  I was peeing like that before I had my urolift done.  Had to force myself alot.  My doctor told me by prostate was the size of a lemon.  I had a catheter in for 2 days.  Most of the time you don't have a catheter for a urolift but I don't pee on demand and my doctor and I decided it would be best.  Did burn for 2 day after.  Just drink alot of water Hope all will work for you..Let me know   Ken     
    • Posted

One of the reasons I had the procedure done, was that I was diagnosised with stage 1 prostrate cancer. I have decided to have radiation therapy  for the cancer and one of the concerns was due to size of my prostate. That the radiation has a tendency to cause the prostate to swell and close off the urethera. Because I was marginal for the possibility I opted for this to be done. Hope I made the right decision. I will let you know how things work out.  Tom
    • Posted

Tom that is another story  I hope they got it all.  If you get the other problem just deal with it 1 day at a time  Take care  Drink alot of water  ken 
  • Posted

HI Thomas;  May I ask you how big was your prostate???  I feel bad for you having to go thru all this pain and agony.  Like Ken mentioned you are all inflamed up there and the body has to heal.  Iam sure they have you on antibiotics.  Atleast you caught the cancer early.  Hope you start getting better real soon.
    • Posted

Thanks Chuck. I am not sure the actual size, but it was large enough for the Radiologist to be somewhat concerned. I will have to check with my urologist at my next visit. When I urinate I have to push a lot to get started and the stream is very narrow compared to what I previously had. I checked and I put out about 100cc when I go. Hence the short frequency between voids. About 15 to 30 minutes. It has been a week today that I have had the procedure. Trying to stay up beat.
    • Posted

Thomas;  I truly think the best advice any of us novices can give you is to "stay in extremely close contact with your urologist and the guy who did the surgery if he is different than your uro.  Maybe you need a "flush job".  Thats what they did to me with my urolift.  It made a "world of difference" as I had a ton of blood clots caught and they had to be flushed out. 
    • Posted

My Urologist did the laser........
  • Posted

Well, the saga continues. It was necessary for the Foley catheter to be put back in yesterday 7/16/15. I could not pass any urine. Later in the day spasms were unbearable so they gave me two meds for the spasms, which have worked. Spasms have stopped. Will meet with my Urologist on Tuesday 7/21 to catheter removed and review my progress. It my be that all my discomfort was from the bladder spasms. Will let you know how things go.

Tom

• Posted

Sorry your having more problem.  Green Light is suppose to be easy.  But we all heal in are own way.  Had the bladder spasms there the pits After one had blood coming out from around the tip.  Sorry you had to have the catheter put back.  Drink alt of water and keep it clean and wash your hands alot.  You don't need a infection. Hope your doctor can help when you go...Ken    
    • Posted

Thanks Ken, things a much better and they have put me on another antibiotic with catheter being in again.
    • Posted

I'm glad your feeling a little better.  I only had a catheter once for 2 days after I had my Urolift.  It was a pain.  Hope all goes well in the next few weeks and you get that thing out.  Be carful when you move so you don't jerk it around..Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.