Recovery from hemorrhoidectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

After reading the horror stories on here i was terrified to say the least when my proctologist recommended a hemorrhoidectomy. after delivering my daughter in October 2020 i was left with an external hemorrhoid that hung out with no hopes of ever going back in. it didnt necessarily hurt but it made me so insecure during sex and it was also becoming such a chore to clean up after a poop. my doctor offered to do it in office under local anesthetic. i know most people go under general but i didnt want to make a huge deal and go to the hospital/ be put under so i sucked it up. my appointment was Monday (2/22) at 9am. the entire procedure was about 30 mins and the only pain i felt was the local anesthetic. my doctor didnt prescribe me any pain meds (he said alternate tylanol and advil) and sent me on my way. i was numb without pain until about 2pm. from then and through the night it got progressively more unbearable. i spent the entire night alternativing between soaking my ass in warm water, crying, and wanting to die. i slept probably a half an hour that night. i called the office as soon as they opened on tuesday and demanded pain meds. they prescribed me percocet with no problem.

Tuesday (day 2): i spent a majority of the day sleeping on and off from the percocet. it definitely took the edge of the pain off but mainly made me sleep. i took probably 6 sitz baths that day and night. still pretty miserable. i hated my doctor for letting me do this and regretted it entirely. still no bowel movement

Wednesday (day 3) a little improvement from tuesday. some hours i was in agonizing pain, sometimes it was very manageable. i had my first bowel movement and it was surprisingly not painful. i did have some sharp pain afterwards but nothing that a sitz bath couldnt fix.

Thursday (day 4) the first day ive felt human since the surgery. i was up most of the day and was able to take care of my 4 month old, get some laundry done, and even do the dishes. another painless bowel movement and i only took 1 hot shower today no sitz baths. im hoping each day from now on i feel better and better.

my tips :

instead of being in a percocet coma all day, i only took it at night to sleep. during the day every 6 hours i took 2 extra strength tylanol and 3 advil. it seriously is life changing.

i started taking stool softeners 4 days before my surgery and then every day post op. i also take medemucil

i was up on my feet caring for my baby by day 2 . i think laying in bed for days would have made recovery much worse.

sitz baths are so relieving after bowel movements.

i sat on an ice pack most days while sitting

it definitely is a painful surgury but i think you just have to make the best of it. i distracted myself with my family, a book, and lots of netflix.

i know everyone heals differently, i prepared myself for the worst but so far it hasnt been the excrutiating pain i was expecting and i definitely dont regret it at all!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm glad it wasn't horrible for you! I honestly think you starting the stool softeners early really helped. I am 5 months post op and had a skin tag the surgery gave me removed 8 days ago. I have 3 stitches from that. I made sure to keep my bowels soft and recovery has been ok.

• Posted

i feel like each day is a toss up! tomorrow will be 1 week post op. some of my bowel movements are more painful than others and i still need to take a sitz bath immediately after one. hoping i wont have to do that for much longer. im obsessively taking pictures of my butt to see the progress and im terrified of getting skin tags! im almost positive i can see one forming. super bummed because i thought making it through this surgery would leave me with a normal butthole! did they remove the skin tag in office? hows the recovery?

• Posted

I was pooping in my sitz tub for a good 4 weeks. Then right away jump into the shower and use the head to clean/soothe. I felt like hot water was my best friend.

It is now 2 weeks since the tag removal. I still have 1 stitch in there. I also still have what looks like a skin tag but my surgeon said I need to be patient and let everything heal. Like 6 weeks total. I feel like I will still end up with a little tag but at least it is higher up. Before it was right at the butthole and I won't lie...it is nice pooping now that it is gone from that area. I also knew to keep my bowels soft so I had some pain but nothing like the surgery. I'm over this though. I had finally felt normal and even though I had the skin tag which I hated I felt normal. Now getting it removed put me back to the beginning. You gotta wait for sex, your partner is scared he is going to hurt you, no booty slaps. He says I'm too picky and a little tag isn't a big deal. Do you still feel like you are getting one?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.