Recovery- there is light at the end of the tunnel

Posted , 2 users are following.

I used this site daily as I thought I was having more pain and more swelling than I should. This procedure was definitely worse than I had anticipated and I believed the whole “back to normal in 1-2 weeks”. The first couple weeks are definitely miserable no doubt about it. However, now 3 weeks post op, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I’m still taking Metamucil everyday and will continue to for the rest of my life hoping to not have to go through this again. I have a couple small amounts of tissue that is still hanging out but nonetheless, things are improving. The swelling is 95% gone, the pain after a BM is almost gone (I still take a bath after each, but it is nothing like the first week). Yesterday I played with my son in the yard and was up and down in the grass several times. In the past I would have had to go inside every 20 minutes or so to push them back in with the amount of up and down action I was doing but thankfully, this is not necessary anymore! I look forward to not having to leave a wedding, sporting event, business event, etc.  every 30 minutes to go to the bathroom and push them in. Or even worse, hang out in the bathroom to stop the unwanted bleeding that never came at a convienient time. This is definitely a rough procedure but I can now say, the few weeks of hell is worth getting your life back! Many people say it but it’s so true- Lots of water, lots of fiber (I swear by Metamucil now, warm baths after a BM, use preparation H wipes to clean after, and using a latex glove with frozen water is a good way to ice it). Keep the big picture in mind! 

All the best!!! 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

One last tip I forgot that has been helping and took some getting use to.. 

I use my wife’s Kotex “light days” pads all day. This a very thin (definitely take some getting use to), and have helped me avoid ruining my underwear. I still have some light bleeding here and there and still have a light.. I guess leakage.. 

Just a suggestion. Again, wish you the best in this recovery! 

• Posted

Just wanted to give some more positive feed back I had an haemorrhoidectomy 16 days a go and it’s does get better honestly it does the first few days was terrible never experienced pain like it thought the bleeding was never going to stop etc but honestly it’s really does get better I finding showering three times a day and focusing the shower head around the anus help to relieve the pain taking stool softeners will also help with the bm still be discomfort but should make it more bearable as time goes on I’m not longer having to take an pain relief which I’ve notice I stopped altogether about 6 days ago so just wanted to give some positive news rather than horror stories it does get better 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.