Recovery time

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All

I have now got my operation date for the 14/05.

I am due to go on a cruise to Norway on the 16/05, do you think timing will be ok.

I don't want to postpone as having 2 or 3 painful episodes a week at the moment.

I plan on taking it easy.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

They only tell you not to travel in a car aeroplane or train as in in a sitting position for long journeys/ long periods of time due to blood clots ..but a cruise seems fine you can walk about freely on the ship ...only question is do u have a long journey to get to the cruise? 
    • Posted

Thanks Sally luckily starts in Southampton so just a couple of hours on the train.Cheers
    • Posted

Remember you won't be able to drive for a couple of weeks after ..abdominal muscles have been cut into..

you will have a lot of abdominal pain for the first few days especially as the gas they inflate your abdomen with leaves your body strangely through your shoulders ... Take good painkillers and don't lift anything or you'll pay for it with abdominal pains like being kicked by a mule ... 

Sitting up will be painful .. Lounging in bed or on a settee is all u will be able to cope with ..

just some practical points ..but if you are sensible and rest should be bearable might not be the best cruise but should be possible ... Hope that helps 

• Posted

Hi,

You should be fine, but make sure you have plenty of painkillers and good insurance, just incase you do have problems. I know a trip to the doctors on cruises are costly even just to be looked at! And make sure you have someone to lift your case smile

• Posted

Thanks Georgina will make sure I have painkillers and good insurance.

Cheers

• Posted

Not sure as I am still waiting for my own op no date yet, but I would say you would be pushing it after only 2 days. How long will you be away? If you are going to be abraod I would also check re insurance if you are not well when abroad. Sorry if all this is negative I am actually an optimistic person but I am also a realist.

Sarah

• Posted

Steve, you will have surgery on April 5, right? Your cruise is June 5 right? just wanted to be sure I was reading that corectly. Yes, you should be fine as long as you talk to your doctor about your plans. He is the best to advise...
    • Posted

It's reads surgery 14th May and cruise 16th May - so 2 days between to me.
  • Posted

Dont overdo the walking, do things at your own pace and enjoy the break.

I was fine a fortnight after my op but it's best not to push yourself.

• Posted

Steve I agree with Sarah. 2 days later definitely will be pushing it in my opinion. Make sure you have travel insurance in case you have to cancel. I had open surgery and not fully recovered at 3.5 months but I am a rare exception! Most people recover within 2-6 weeks if its laprascopic surgery. Everyone is different and we all react differently to the surgery. Good Luck.
    • Posted

Thanks have got the insurance hopefully will not have to use it.

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.