Recovery time

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am nearly 5 months post hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repair.  The last  month or so I've stopped feeling overtired and now back to normal activity (except for my exercise class).  I've been doing a lot of bending, stretching, lifting and carrying (not heavy weights) and am much more achey again.  I think I may have to pay someone to do the decorating instead of doing it myself. Can Matron or anyone else advise how long before we are completely back to normal.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello moira. If I'm absolutely honest (and not only patients have said this but friends and friends who have family who've had this surgery) it can be up to 12 months particularly as you have had 3 operations where most of us have only had 1 or 2 repairs. I'm not saying you'll feel this way for the next 6 months but at some point up until then you'll stop and realise at long last you feel "normal" again. Don't underestimate the toll 3 major ops can do to your body.

• Posted

On the subject of recovery I have just had my 8 week check up for A and P and have been told I'm doing well. He's pleased with my progress and has said I can start swimming. However he's a little concerned about my breathing and so am I. After a short walk I'm becoming breathless my mum has a blood oxygen reader and it read only 79 when I had only walked down her short drive. This is very worrying. The consultant told me to see the GP.

• Posted

I can understand you're worried but it could be something easily treated. It's a long time before I worked in medicine (probably a student nurse to be honest) but asthma and hay fever could cause a low oxygen level. Anything more serious I would have expected an anaesthetic to have caused problems. On a positive note I'm really pleased all was well at your post op check.

• Posted

I knew the news on the prolapse would be good. I've not felt this comfy for a long time. Plus I had Kelly sutures which have stopped the incontinence. For the first time in years I don't leak or have to get up in the night and I don't have to wear pads. It's marvelous. I just have to sort out the tiredness!

• Posted

I know what you mean about the tiredness clare and I know most ladies on this forum would agree it's hard to shake off. It's just a case of resting when you feel tired, if possible.

• Posted

That is the hardest part! Letting someone else take control! I'm learning a lot about myself!

• Posted

That's me all over. It was hard for me to adapt as well. 

• Posted

For me the issue has been no-one else to do a lot of the tasks in the house so now I'm better I'm doing a lot to get the house straight again.  For instance, the vacuuming and cleaning the kitchen floor were only done once in the 8 weeks when I wasn't able to do it.  I'd love to have a helpful hubby/mum/sister but only have sons!

• Posted

Hi I thought I would give an update and a warning to others to watch for over tiredness. I went for my 8 week check up everything fine I told the consultant how tire I was and breathless. He told me to see my GP I did the next morning . I was sent to hospital and have spent the last few days in the critical care unit . They did a scan on my lungs but there was no sign of a blood clot but my blood oxygen was 79 even when they had me on 80% oxygen the level only went up to 89. My lungs were laden with small clots not seen on the scan but so many I was being starved of oxygen. I say this not to frighten anyone but to tell you to be aware and if you think that you shouldn't be that tired or the tiredness if different go to your doctor. I'm still in the critical care unit but am being moved onto the ward today. It's been pretty scary. Stay vigilant and look after your selves.

• Posted

Oh my goodness clare!!!!! You have been so lucky catching this in time and being so vigilant. I'm sure you won't frighten anyone but have taught us all a very important lesson in not ignoring symptoms. You in your body better than anyone and you knew things weren't right. I'm wondering if you had this problem when you had surgery, if so you've been very lucky. Take care clare and be a good patient. Please let us know how you're getting on. Sending hugs xx

• Posted

I'm so glad you got yourself sorted out in time, take it easy and hope the ward wont be too noisy for you to recover on. i'm sure you are in good hands and being looked after.

We all have our own problems or proud moments to tell and without each other for support and advice and experiences i'm sure my own and other's recoveries wouldn't have been as stress free just because we are all here for each other.

I'm so glad we can all share our problems even if we can just help someone newer to the forum or begining their journey we can make a difference so thank you for sharing and I really hope the rest of your recovery is easier now.

love and best wishes Mik xx

• Posted

Hi Clare,

So sorry to hear of your clots but so glad they caught this in time. I hope your recovery goes well and you get back on track quickly.

Healing hugs,

Phyllis x☺💖

• Posted

Thank you all for your advice.  I think I am over the post op tiredness - I do get tired but am in my 60s so don't expect as much energy as 20 years ago.  It's just the discomfort "down below" and at the rear now I'm active again.  I know on the hysterectomy forum they talk of "swelly belly" when tired for a long time post surgery so I guess this is similar.  The difference is I'm scared of another prolapse by overdoing it.

• Posted

Hi moira, I had the same surgery as you back in February (5th Feb) and feel very similar to you.

pretty much back to normal, not lifting but cleaning, cycling and walking regularly with no problems, however I do still feel so tired some days and some days feel achey/heavy down below! 

I was only wondering the other day, if anyone had had surgery the same time as me if they were feeling the same.

Are you seeing a gyno physio? I have just started that.

Hope you start to feel 100% soon, take care  xxxx

• Posted

Hi Jill - I've been seeing a gynae physio mainly as I had incontinence which is now much better.  I feel much like you but think I may have lifted too much in the last few weeks and have had more aches and twinges and now feel as if things may have moved a bit inside.  I'm seeing the physio in 2 weeks so she can advise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.