Recovery time after Total Knee Replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

A friend of mine had TKR 10 months ago, he is still walking around very tentatively, I know that full recovery can take up to 2 years, anyone out there at the same or similar amount of time post op who could tell me is this feeling normal? I know we are all different, but it would be good to get an idea from someone who is not my friend :0) he comes out with me when I walk my dogs in the morning and I will be nattering away turn around and he is about half a mile back, it appears to me that he has been walking so badly for so long, he left it 2 years before he finally agreed to the op, the consultant actuall siad he didn't know how he was still walking the cartiledge had all but disappeared completely! Thanks.

0 likes, 18 replies

Report / Delete

18 Replies

• Posted

im 6 months on my right knee and yes i think i still have a strange walk , but i also had my left knee done 5 weeks ago , and also was told up to 2 years and had a correction of 5 degrees so will be strange to walk also the fear of falling doesnt help at all , so i would say all normal , and take your time 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Well done you on getting the second one done, Ken won't get his other one done, I have told him he will be in a wheelchair if he doesn't but he just ignores me........don't know why I bother.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

thanks ,it was a case of having too really , im only 53 and work full time in a school kitchen providing 1600 meals or more a day so very busy and hard work , ive been off sick for 16 months already and the pain i have now is better than it was but im not pain free in either knees ,i find sitting and relaxing hard im always on the go and should really take it easy ,but still when i get back to work im hoping the pain will go slowly away ,it is a hard oppand a very slow recovery ,ive been swimming a lot with the first knee and will go back swimming next week after my 6 week check up , swimming has really helped as it is a none bearing exercise and there are lots of people like me in the pool all swimming for the exercise and the fun

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I waited a few years after I'd been told to have the op before I had it.  The op was just over 6 months ago and I'm walking fine.  I'm 62 but go to work so had to go out quite soon. I did stay off 8 weeks on the consultant's advice but would have been ok after 6 really. I'm going to the gym to build my bad leg up as it had wasted to a degree with lack of use. You're so used to overcompensating with the other leg that it's hard to get out of the habit.  I've found you've got to push the pain barrier to improve.  It's scary but worth it.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Found your blog interesting especially because you felt you could have gone back to work sooner. I am looking for all the positives I can find. I am 82 and 5weeks post op. as wretched as I have felt the days are going and I am at last getting a few hours sleep. I don't feel as ill as I first did but living alone I am struggleling to pass the time away. Seem yo have lost interest in everything I enjoyed doing especially reading, don't feel able to relax .are these feelings normal or is it just me. My granddaughter is getting married early November and I desperately want to feel well enough to enjoy the day. Not too worried that I may have to use a cane as long as this lethargy ends. Take care you did so well to get back to work as you did. I am hoping to get back to driving next week.x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks, the point is his pain barrier is zero I think, his son was tearing his hair out trying to get him to do the excercises the physio gave him, he would do the ones in which he could sit down and do them but any others.....well.. I lent him my excersise bike, he used it to help him stand up but that was about it, he was warned what could hgappen if he didn't excersise but it went over the top of his head and I think if I didn't get him to come out with me once a day then he wouldn't do a bloomin' thing.rolleyes
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Phoebe

I'm 6 months post op. although to everyone else I'm recovered, I work go out for dinners/ movies but no dancing smile don't limp etc but I know I'm not recovered. It feels stiff and numb all the time even tho I pretty well have full movement. But I know that I still restrict myself sometimes. I'm waiting for the 12 month mark and hopefully will be fine with it then. My walking is slow and steady certainly not brisk. I'm having my other TKR in a few days and not looking forward to it as it was not pleasant but I want to cease medication completely and walk without a worry. I'd say he's pretty normal. Most of us usually get the op when our cartlidge has gone otherwise one wouldn't smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I can't really comment on whether your friend is normal other than so many people say recovery takes a long time. I'm only 71/2 weeks post op. I'm interested in what yviemx and Gloria say though. I hope I can be as good as you, yviemx, at 6 months. I'm really persevering with the exercise regime and can see small improvements. The pain will be worth it if I can walk comfortably in the end. I'm concerned about the numbness/stiffness though and realise from you, Gloria, that this could last a long time. Others tell me I'm walking well but I know how stiff and abnormal it feels! Hopefully I'll get there in the end. It's so good to get reports from others further down the line. Thanks.

Jen 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Jen the numbness does diminish gradually. Mine lessened considerably after 5 months although is still annoying on the outside knee. I expect it will lessen more with time. The stiffness is always there but varies in intensity depending on amount of activity or time of day. But I remember it being very annoying and bothersome very early on. Hang in all, I'm guessing it's a long road. I talk to people who hadn't years ago and they all say it is worth it. So roll on worth it days! smile
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Could be habit now walking slowly and carefully because he has done it for such a long time. A man I know who is now over 6months post op still shuffles around the house as he did before, refusing to go anywhere unless he absolutely must. Doctor says its habit with him but he's just not prepared to do anything about it. Take care

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know someone in their 80's and within a few short weeks was walking without sticks, it's all to do with a persons mindset I think, my friend has always been very stubborn, I have known him for 40 odd years so really tell him like it is, but he turns into Grumpy from the 7 dwarves. LOL.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Although I'm doing really well it was terrible when I first tried cycling. I startred about 8 weeks ago  and couldn't pedal at all. I had to push past the pain barrier snd now my knee feels a lot less numb..
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi yviemx, I've just started stationary. cycling this week and, yes, it is hard at first. I haven't overdone it, just doing a few minutes at a time. But, I think the tightness at the back of my knee is loosening up a bit. So I'll try to keep it up. I hope to get where you are in a few months - running for the bus would be marvellous 😊 

Jen x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I was told that the numbness may never go away completely but I certainly have no pain now and can walk briskly.  I've even ran for the bus:-) Before the op I was starting to feel old but I feel quite sprightly again now. I was scared at first because it used to feel as if there was something stiff encasing my knee and I didn't know if it was normal. I'm lucky in that the other knee is ok.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

How wonderful to be free of pain again, every night I lie there unable to sleep and think bring on tomorrow it may be a better day. This nightmare has to go away soon surely I am now 5weeks post, when will it start to improve? I am doing my excersises but can't fill the empty hours. I've always been a posotive person. I worked full time until I was 77 and at the same time went to university and got my BA and MA. I have always had strong resolution but this damned op has completely floored me. Sorry to keep moaning take care x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You will be free of pain.  It's early days yet for you.  I took the max of paracetamol and ibuprofen at the stage you're at now.. Do you mot play scrabble and word games online against opponents? It's a good way of passing the time.  I was lucky in that it's not far for me to walk out to local cafés and pubs, so could hobble out on my sticks.  I was scared at first using the bus as my leg didn't bend in enough to fit into the seats. I thought I'd have to be driven to work but I managed fine after 8 weeks.  I don't drive so can't advise about that. It's not knowing if what's happening to you is normal that frightened me. Hope you're feeling better soon. X
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Tucks, the pain at night gradually lessened for me over the last 2weeks (I'm nearly 8 weeks post op now). I still take 2 co codamol at bedtime though and paracetamol during the day. So hopefully things will improve for you too soon. This op has had a far greater effect on me too than I ever thought it would. Don't regret having it done but just feel my whole body is in a state of shock and taking so long to get over it. I wish there was something I could suggest to help you get some sleep. I think you've tried a hot water bottle haven't you? It's a vicious circle isn't it as when tired the exercises are harder and we feel the pain more. All I can say is, I feel a bit better than I did a few weeks ago so there is hope for you. Take care.

Jen x

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up