Rectal/sigmoid wall thickening

Edited , 3 users are following.

I'll try to be as brief as possible here. For 5 months now I've been feeling a dull rectal pain/pressure, change in bowel habits, some diarrhea on and off, and perianal itching.

Initially I thought I had CPPS or chronic pelvic pain because I'm only 30. I'm generally healthy, a healthy weight at least. My diet has been bad for years but I have a fast metabolism that keeps me lean.

My urologist ordered an Abdominal/Pelvic Ct with contrast to rule out sinister pathology and everything was clear besides "Mild Diffuse Rectal wall thickening, and mild proximal sigmoid colon thickening with minimal fat standing."

My initial gastro did a colonoscopy and only found 1 flat rectal polyp. I felt as though my care was insufficient and seeked a 2nd opinion.

My second opinion Gastro told me not to worry about the wall thickening because "there wasnt distension in the colon, so it can appear as thickening on ct but it is only because the colon isnt properly distended."

He wanted to check for anal cancer and did a High Resolution Anoscopy and found no lesions, but did a repeat colonoscopy as well and found an addition 4 polyps that the other doctor missed which I'm still waiting to hear back about, although he didnt seem worried about Cancer.

Ontop of this my ct scan showed small subsegmental pulmonary embolism in my lower lung that required a brief hospital stay, which has further fueled my worry about a malignancy because hidden cancers can cause as many as 10% of unprovoked blood clots.

The internet is filled with scary information about colon/rectal wall thickening and for some reason I still maintain stress and worry that I could have a colon cancerhat is in the Wall of my colon but hasn't grow outward but just grown into the wall, since the first surgeon missed 4 polyps as it is.

I probably shouldnt be stressing about all this, but I needed to get some stuff off my chest
  It would be incredibly rare for 2 colonoscopies to miss a colo/rectal cancer right? 
 All my bloodwork is normal, I have no blood in stool or on toilet paper.

Thanks for any thoughts and thanks for reading.

0 likes, 3 replies

Report / Delete

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, hopping everything goes well with the results and its nothing. i find it shocking that they missed out 4 polyps in your first colonoscopy, how ? baffaling. Did your consultant say the colon thickening was because of the ct scan ? and thats how it shows up in scans sometimes? if so dont worrt about it.

I have blood in my stool nearly everyday, but cant seem to get an appointment for a sigmoidscopy due to this virus.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

First, as we get older poor diet can catch up with us, so maybe try to focus on more fruits and veggies in the future. Did anyone do a stool sample check for infections etc. I too am sorry the first one missed the other polyps, but they should be able to tell if you have cancer from the results of biopsies taken during the colonoscopy. It is general procedure to do biopsies during these tests. Do you have any type of OB/GYN issues, I used to get backed up before my period and once I started the poop would then come out, do you notice and changed around your time of the month.

Maybe also ask about inflammation, did they see any...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5902143/

if this link is allowed it is a good info one.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Edited

Just a word of advice, try not to worry unless the doc gives you something to worry about, if you have confidence in this new Gastro trust in his results and decisions, if you need to talk to them, ask for a phone appt. Try to relax as our mind does have a connection to our guts, you may also try a good probiotic, and see if it helps.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up