rectocele operation

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm on day 5 since rectocele op and I've had no pain internally. I have due to stitches in perineum. Is this normal? Should I be pleased or worried ?

Someone please help .

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I didn't have a lot of internal pain, more like cramps that came and went. The cramps got bad if I stood up for too long. Take it easy, and hopefully you will stay pain free!
    • Posted

Hi Kirsty thanks for replying , my concern is I have no soreness no sensation inside at all .I'm worried about a nerve being damaged. I have no warning signs to let me know if I'm doing too much . I've touched inside just to make sure it's been done and its like touching rubber ...no feeling at all . waiting for my consultant to return my call .
  • Posted

Sally, 

I'm 49 yrs old and am day 12 postop of rectocele repair and agree there has been minimal pain, much less than I expected.  I don't think you should be worried.  But I've read alot from women much further along than we are, especially LadyPink and from what I'm gathering we are only just beginning this journey. With the pain not being too bad, we might be tempted to think at this point that we can jump back into normal life.  Lying here in my bed it seems like I could get right up and resume normal activities, go the park with my grandsons, spend hours shopping, etc...even though I know I shouldn't.  I have a feeling though that when it comes to actually "doing" those things, it's not going to be quite as easy as it might seem from our recovery beds. In other words, we might be speaking too soon.  According to LadyPink, this recovery is longer than the 6 weeks we've been led to believe.  Keep sharing how you're doing as you recover. I'm interested in reading about other's recovery as I go through this,  it's not exactly the kind of thing women are discussing in public.  Take care!  

• Posted

Hi I know what you mean re feeling normal its been very difficult for me to rest. Luckily my external stitches are there or else I'd feel like normal . my concern was I've no sensation on my back wall at all it just feels numb . so I've no warning signs to let me know my limitations at all . I agree rest is very important for the healing process . keep me informed of your recovery ..take care x
  • Posted

Hi Sally, 

I am now 3 weeks post op for rectocele repair. Like you most of my discomfort came from stitches in my perineum and I started walking daily by the end of one week. 3 days later,although the perineum was getting more comfortable, I began to feel an ache a bit like a period pain. I stopped my walks for a few days then resumed them but limited them to app. 20 minutes. I was also beginning to potter about doing some light housework. At the end of the second week I again experienced a low ache and had a light bleed ( prior to this I only had a pale watery discharge) I am now scared something has been undone so have taken to my bed where I am less tempted to do anything active. Fortunately my husband is on hand and no children to look after. Although 59 I considered myself very fit before the op and thought I would recover quickly. Now I wish i had been more patient and paid more heed to the warnings about doing too much too soon. One thing I hadn't been aware of was that these ops have a 30% failure rate. Dread the thought I may have to go through this again. My advice is do as little as possible during the first 4 weeks and keep your walks short and on flat ground. Best of luck.

• Posted

I am 9 days post op for pelvic floor repair anterior & posterior. Still in a lot of pain, which surprised me as I have a high pain threshold. I have really bad cramps & wind that remind me of contractions. Finding it hard to have bowel movement even with all the laxatives.

My consultant said my posterior repair was a lot more extensive then he thought & that I have a lot of stitching internally. My stomach has also changed with a noticeable line above my pelvic area.

If you are not in much pain that is good but still take it easy. Taking the advice from the experienced ladies here it makes a lot of difference in results.

• Posted

One of the best things I learned reading these posts is the use of a small stool to put my feet on during bowel movements. Mine is just uner 6 inches tall (15 cm?). It brings your knees up, and makes it so much easier to go! 
  • Posted

I had the same no pain inside just outside is soreness it's because the skin is more sensitive around the perineum . I was doing really well but now have a localised infection around the outside stitches. Just keep the are clean and hopefully you won't have any problems.
    • Posted

Thanks gemma i find the sitz bath helps when the stitches get irritated . cross fingers I dont get an infection. As for the no pain i can't feel any thing at the site of the op not even touch . still waiting for my consultant to reply . hope your infection soon better
  • Posted

Sally how are your stitches now. I amsuddenly very aware of my stitches at my perineum. They are stinging and look like one burst im now bleeding a bit. Hospital were like should be ok.

Pain relief is all gone. can you recommend anything to help?

• Posted

Hi one of my stitches is starting to feel troublesome , I think I got up too quick yesterday and slightly pulled it . the sitz baths help where you sit in the bath with1-2 inches of warm water for 5 mins and bathe the area . I'm going to add some salt today as that one feels particularly sore today .luckily I have a foam ring cushion to sit on . other than the baths keep an eye on things that it dont get infected ..take ibuprofen if suitable for you as it will help with the pain and inflammation ..good luck hope it helps
    • Posted

Today I've discovered using a smidging of sudocreme on irritated skin surrounding the stitches is such an instant relief providing area is clean and no signs of infection. Sudocreme soothes its antiseptic a barrier and a real godsend to me . its used for nappy rash as a barrier cream , very effective. I can sit down again. Also a small empty drinks bottle in the bathroom to fill with warm water when you need to wee helps dilute wee for relief.
    • Posted

Glad to hear you are getting some relief. I have brown discharge today, is that normal?
    • Posted

I think its expected as its healing to go brown just as a period does as it slows down . as long as there's no fowl smell or extra pain I think its normal. I think once its gone brown then see bright red blood , that's when you need to be concerned but dont take me at gospel .its difficult for me as I can't feel anything internally still. If you are worried or have temp or feel unwell seek expert advice . hope you're ok :-)
    • Posted

Thanks it was red yesterday but brown today. Just wondering if I am doing to much hubby is getting a bit lax with help as I seem ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.