Rectocele repair

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a rectocele repair six weeks ago and it seems the stitches still haven't dissolved... Does anyone know if this is normal?  

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Phillipa, I had an anterior repair just over 7 weeks ago and have not actually seen any stitches as was mentioned would happen in the patient info. leaflet, but when I investigated a couple of weeks ago one or two tiny thread like pieces came away, but they were so insignificant I couldn't tell for certsin if that's what they were. I wouldn't worry, im sure it's all good. 

best  wishes, Kathy

• Posted

Hi Philippa, I am 4 weeks post op and mine are still there, spoke to nurse and she said all ok, will keep you posted. Are you Ok with your bowels?
    • Posted

Hi Lynne...Thankyou for your reply.... Actually my bowels are dreadful... Sadly I have fibromyalgia, arthritis and osteoporosis.... So I take a great deal of painkillers which cause constipation!  I try to have a lot of fibre in my diet and eat healthily... Senokot helps.  I just try not to force things I spend a great deal of time on the loo! My leaflet after the operation said to sit on the loo and not to strain... Their advice was to allow things to happen when you breathe out.... Which actually works!! ..so that we don't damage the repair... I.hope you are feeling ok.
    • Posted

Hi Philippa, you have a lot to contend with! Re the constipation, it makes a huge difference if your knees are higher than your hips. Apparently that's the natural position for voiding. Amazon sell a squatty potty, but I thought that looked like a medical aid, so just use an IKEA grow tall step for children. Also handy for high cupboards!
    • Posted

Hi Philippa, You poor thing, all those other ailments to. Gosh the things us women have to go through. I'm having to take laxatives at night and now self adminestering Enemas in the morning, which worked well together until yesterday. Used enema then sat on loo when had the ''urge" and still struggled to pass stool after initial water from enema. Had a blood loss as well so was scary. It was the size of 50c. hubby took me into walk in centre as public holiday here and no surgerys open. Doc thought it was probably a clot, didn't seem to concerned and said to see own Doc in a few days if no change. Crazy thing was he didn't have any equipment to examine me and didn't even look! Used laxatives & enema again today ok and no blood but I don't feel right ''down there'' sitting was getting more comfortable but it isn't today. Going to give it couple of days, then will ring surgeons office. Always worry though that I am making a fuss over nothing as I know this surgery recovery can be quite long. At this time I cannot see myself back at work in 2 weeks. Are you still off work or has 6 weeks convalescing been long enough for you?
    • Posted

Hi Moira,

What a good idea...I have an Ikea grow taller step...thanks for that  Regards Philippa

• Posted

Hi Lynne,

I actually don't work, I am licky,  so I haven't fortunately got to return to work, but I feel absolutely fine...which is probably a bad thing as I am doing loads of things I probably should not be doing. It's just still having stitches in after 6 weeks that bothers me. Sex is out of the question! And I just want the stitches to dissolve! Goodness though you are not having such a good time...poor lady...

• Posted

Hi Lynne, I think you are causing more trouble for yourself than you realise. The reason your are passing liquid but no solid matter is a clear sign everything has backed up and will continue to do so, The liquid is from the stools 'queing' there and it will get harder and harder the longer its left things plus more waste will back up behind. The idea is to not use any laxatives if you can help it and get yourself into eating a healthy diet with plenty of roughage, fruit and vegetables AND very importantly lots of bland liquids - water or weak squash. I gave this advice on a posting recently in one if my postings a few days ago. My practice nurse advised me when I was in pain and discomfort at 5 days post op, to sit in a bowl of warm water on the loo and to be blunt - move everything digitally bit by bit. Have bran cereal each morning and everyday have some stewed fruit with yoghurt and things like that to enable things to get moving naturally. If you rely on laxatives and enemas, not only will your bowels become lazy but suddenly you're going to have one almighty explosion. This might cause you damage, and will in all probability cause you a heck of a lot of pain! After just one time of doing this I never had any more problems. Sorry if this sounds pretty revolting but hey-ho, if it's going to help give it a go / I'm sure you won't want to go to hospital. Good luck. LadyPink
    • Posted

Morning LadyPink, That sounds all good sense, as that seems to be whats happening. I rang the nurse attached to surgeons office yesterday as it was the surgeon who said to use Enemas for six days with laxatives, she spoke with another doc who said no more enemas as they really dehydrate you as well as make bowel lazy as you said, just use laxatives and try and taper off them. (Incredible the different advise you get between docs)i do have a really healthy diet and loads of water, but haven't had prune juice yet, so going to include that in diet today. I am also going to see my own GP today just for reassurance on the wound. I have looked and its not red or swollen but is more tender than 2 weeks ago. I'm 4 weeks post op and this may be normal. Thank you so much for all your advise, it really is appreciated. 

• Posted

Hi Lynne, I'm only too happy to pass on what I have learned from my own experience and advice from medicsl professionals - and nurses in my family - I just hope it helps your predicament.

If I were you I would buy and eat tinned or packet prunes not just the juice. Eating the whole fruit allows your bowel to 'work properly'' and break down the flesh and skin of the fruit. I'm not one for buying just the juice which tends to pass through, too quickly. Most fruits are excellent. Try plums, nectarines, peaches, rhubarb, clementines etc plus frozen summer fruits which you can stew with a little sugar or sweetener, are all lovely. Granary breads and not white bread, muesli, and bran cereals all are fantastic for getting the bowels working. 

The tenderness below, is more than likely caused by the pressure from your packed, back passage pressing down on that area. As soon as you can clear all that waste, you are going to feel  soo much better - I know, cus I've been there! Hope you feel more comfortable soon. LadyPink

• Posted

Good morning LadyPink. Keeping fingers crossed, all seems to be going well. I had an infection in the wound so my GP gave me antibiotics. Luckily caught early so wasn't to bad. I wish i'd seen her ealier on in recovery, she was so reassuring about the problems with the bowels. Antibiotics made me 'loose' for first day but since then things have settled down. So no more laxatives etc hopefully. I have increased all fibre in my diet and the prunes are yummy. hope you are keeping well.
    • Posted

Hello Lynne, Really pleased to hear things have been resolved and that you sound do much better. I think making this type of diet change has to be a something we do for the rest of our life in order to keep things 'on the move' and healthy.

Well done and keep up the good work. Best wishes to you. LadyPink

• Posted

Hi Phillipa, I'm now 6 months post op, and can't remember exactly, but I think I was still seeing stitches coming away for ages, ie 8-10 weeks. I remember thinking it was taking a long time.
    • Posted

Hi Moira... That's great... You have taken a lot of worry away for me... The leaflet they give you suggests you will see the stitches on one of your pads!  Which you usually only need for a couple of weeks... So I was expecting the stitches to be out in a couple of weeks.... This obviously is not so! 
  • Posted

Hi Philippa, I had a dual rectocele and cystocele repair with Perineorraphy done exactly a year ago at the age of 69. Whilst all is absolutely fine now and I have no regrets at all, at 8/9 weeks I did become concerned like you because I could still feel all my (dissolvable) stitches. I was also having a slightly smelly discharge with occasional traces of blood. I saw my GP and after checking she referred me back to my gynaecologist. The gynaecologist said in rare case the dissolvable stitches do not suit everyone and with me my body had set up a reaction. I was put on antibiotics and I was also told that the inflamed area around the stitches needed to be cauterized to stop the 'granulation'. I returned the following week to have this done. The treatment was a little uncomfortable but it did the trick and the stitches dean to break down and come away. Over the next few weeks all healed and all was well from then on. 

If you are at all worried I would certainly go back to your doctor and see what he or she has to say. Good luck. LadyPink

• Posted

Hi Lady Pink.... That's good news!  I fortunately have not noticed any smell or inflammation,  so I imagine all is well.  The information they give you could do with some 'tweaking " it suggests the stitches will be out in a couple of weeks and sex can usually be resumed in 6 weeks.... I don't think so!!  by the feel of the stitches my husband would have to be feeling suicidal to attempt it!  He he he!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.