rectocele surgery only

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Ladies

Are there any ladies on here that have had rectocele surgery only and would be willing to discuss their recovery?

I'm asking for rectocele only as I have had an easy recovery and don't want people that have had more surgery and a terrible time thinking it's not normal.

Thanks

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vicky. I had rectocele about 15 years ago. It went very well and I recovered fairly quickly. I did as I was advised and rested to begin with then gradually built up the walking. Later I went to hydro therapy at the local hospital, for Osteo Arthritis, as  this helps build up the muscles for most problems. Everyone heals differently and we all have different levels of pain sensitivity I believe. Some have very low pain thresholds and others have high levels. Hope this helps you Vicky, you were one of the lucky ones. biggrin Pollyanna UK
    • Posted

Thank you

15 years ago! I have heard some people need the operation again, was that the case for you?

• Posted

Hi Vicky. I've had 2 ops for prolapse, and now 72. The first when I was 40 was hysterctomy/cystocele for prolapsed womb and bladder. The second at 59 was a rectocele. Some of us do need it doing again unfortunately, all part of the ageing process I'm told. rolleyes I'm now having tests for cystocele again as I seem to be having some slight incontinence problems. I also have 2 ovarian cysts which are being monitored currently. Pelvic floor exercises over the years have helped but not any more! At my age the elasticity of the tissues, all over the body seem to be just wearing out. I think the prolapse is probably due to some of the work I've done too. Mostly as a carer plus gardening, decorating etc at home. My bits are all dropping off or descending now. lol wink Best wishes, Pollyanna UK
  • Posted

I have noticed that I am leaking urine. I have never had a bladder problem in my life.

Is this normal for two weeks post op?

I thought my stitches were weeping but they are fine

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Vicky.

I've had two rectocele repairs done in the last three years. The second repair was done six months ago. (I'm 28.)

I was a lot more cautious after having the second surgery, and really made sure that I took it easy and relaxed as much as I could. Not easy with two kids, but we managed... just about! biggrin

I had some problems with leaking urine after my surgery, mainly if I coughed or sneezed, but sometimes it would happen if I stood up too quickly or made a sudden movement. I mentioned it to my surgeon at my six week check up, and she told me to do kegel exercises every day for three months, and if it hadn't improved by then we would look into seeing a physiotherapist/surgery.

Six months ater, things are much better. I still can't sit for very long without a pillow, but other than that, I feel great.

I hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Wow, you are young.

I'm 38, just had my rectocele surgery but I'm annoyed as never had bladder problems before.

Thank you for sharing hun, I hope you have no more issues x

• Posted

I'm due for Rectocele repair soon and am in my 20s also I'm so worried about the prolapse returning I have a 9 month old will be very hard for me to not lift! Would you have any suggestions on recovery and how to prevent it returning

Thank you

• Posted

I had rectocele surgery about 8 weeks ago. My surgery was done by a urogynocologist without using any mesh and through the vagina. I followed all instruction about not getting constipated, no lifting over gallon of milk weight and no squatting. My healing process seems to be going very well but I am having a few bladder issues such as urgency and small leakage a couple of times when standing suddenly. I am a little concerned that my bladder is beginning to prolapse too but my doctor says everything looks great and has given me the green light for  doing almost everything back to normal. My husband and I had  very very quick intercouse (I know TMI!!) this weekend and everything felt ok except right at the vaginal entrance where ther is a kind of hard area where maybe the stitches haven't dissolved all the way yet. I will wait longer before trying this again because I sure don't want to mess anything up! I just hope the bladder stuff is a postsurgical problem that will go away as everything heals completely.

Please tell me your experience and message me if you want.

Lisa

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time lisa

I sound exactly the same as you minus the sex

With fingers and toes crossed I am hoping my bladder will be back to normal when my body has healed completely

• Posted

Hi Vicky

I got the leaking urine problem from 1wk post-op anterior cystocele repair with TOT sling. I thought it was all part and parcel of post-op course. I didn't have any other symptoms of UTI, & have also never had one before so didn't really know what one was like. I'm 57. Had surgery 3mths ago. I finally plucked up courage at around 5wks to squeak to Urogynae's nurse. She faxed a lab form to my local lab. Turns out I did have ecoli infection in bladder and it took 2 courses of antibugs to send it packing. Then NO leakage whatsoever after that. Phew. Now I'm good as gold, and it is actually a stupid chuckling pleasure to cough or sneeze with NO leakage and not even a feeling that it might. YAHOO.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing but I really only want to ask ladies that have had rectocele surgery only.

I've not had anything but rectocele.

Glad you're sorted

• Posted

The actual surgical incision is millimetres from each other for both procedures and you have the same risk of the same infections post-op. My point was that my thinking was you might have a bladder infection as all anatomy down there is so close and easily contaminated by fiddling around down there, as in surgery, catheters, etc. Just thought my previous comment might help, but oh well, whatever.....................................................

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.