Rectopexy and colpopexy surgery soon..HELP!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am having abdominal surgery in 10 days time to repair my cystocele and rectocele and to say I'm getting worried is an understatement. I always have problems with constipation and take a drug daily called linaclotide with some degree of success, but I still get constipated at times. I was diagnosed with coeliac disease about a year ago and find it harder to get fibre into my diet because I can't eat bran or oats etc.

I wondered whether anyone who has had similar surgery can tell me whether the rectopexy helped with constipation? Thank you.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicky - I can't answer your question directly as I have different symptoms and indications for the repair, but I too am having a rectopexy with resection next week. I've been struggling for all my adult life with symptoms that were misdiagnosed as Crohn's disease and jumped through all the conservative management hoops once I was correctly diagnosed, but last week I got told the date of the repairs and am now very jittery about it. Most nights as I've been going to sleep, I've found myself getting a bit carried away with worry and having panicked "maybe I can cancel it?" mile a minute outpourings to my partner. Worry is of course always worse at night, and I can say that at the moment I'm feeling positive about finally getting the repairs that should allow me to take control over my life again. It is a big surgery that we are having with a recovery that will see us having bad days, but both our surgeons are performing them with the intention that they will improve our quality of life and I am hopeful for that. Please keep us updated with how you get on x

• Posted

Thank you Edith, I hope your surgery goes well too. I think my nerves are settling down at the moment but ask me again next week! I also have IBS and coeliac disease so I'm not too sure how my bowel is going to cope with it all. X

• Posted

Thank you for your well wishes, Nicky. I've seen from your reply to Matron that you are a nurse as well - so many of us on this forum are (I had to leave due to my problems but hoping to return after my recovery). As Matron says, that insight to procedures and the inner workings of the NHS does ramp up the worry for us! I have IBS as and duodenal ulcers as well so I'm expecting that I won't have the happiest of digestive systems afterwards! When I'm bad I stick to low FODMAPs foods, which in all honesty is quite a bland existence as a veggie, but hopefully not too many hurdles left until we both are living better! 

• Posted

Small world Edith! Last year in addition to the IBS I was also diagnosed as early coeliac disease which doesn't help with the whole getting more fibre in your diet scenario unfortunately. I'm off to pre op assessment and consent signing tomorrow so I hope I might get a few more questions answered then x

• Posted

That's such a lot to deal with! I take psyllium husk capsules for fibre to help add bulk as I have chronic diarrhoea but it is used for chronic constipation as well. Perhaps see if this would be indicated for you as well. Hope your pre-assessment is straight forward x

• Posted

Pre assessment wasn't too bad thank you, although I remembered on my way home half of the questions I had meant to ask! I've had a bit of a read up about psyllium husk and it sound quite good although apparently I need to be a bit careful as some products do contain some gluten from the manufacturing process. I'm thinking that I'll see how I go post op (pardon the pun). I have loads of fybogel and lactulose at home and I'm quite looking forward in a weird way to the two enemas I have to give myself the day before my surgery😂 X

• Posted

The fybogel is the branded version of psyllium husk (well it lists psyllium seed as the ingredient) so I'd stick to what you know is contamination free smile

I use enema irrigation daily so I know the relief of a good empty! My jitters have turned into a bit of a weep here now that the surgery is only on Monday. It's funny how it went from being the carrot of better health being dangled in front of me to now something which I'm crying in the shower over. I think it's worsened when I'm having a good day as with symptoms that are so variable, the nervousness over the surgery overpowers me and I think well I'm coping well today so perhaps I'll give admissions a call... My boyfriend and I are going to go for a walk and lunch now which I'm sure I'll feel all the better for doing. Oh the ordeal of it all! x

• Posted

I hope you have a restful weekend and that all goes well for you on Monday, I'll be thinking of you.....my life seems to be conspiring against me and my surgery at the moment! Three weeks ago I had a cold which went straight to my chest, thankfully my GP put me on a weeks worth of antibiotics which sorted that out, yesterday I got between my dog and a piece of plastic he wanted so he nipped me on the hand and today I've just got home and my eldest daughter tells me she has a bit of an upset stomach. If I actually make it to my op on Thursday I'll be amazed!! X

• Posted

The surgery should definitely help with the constipation Nicky. The position of the rectocele will prevent the stools passing through the bowel easily so causing you to become constipated. I had the same problem prior to my rectocele and cystocele repair but almost immediately post op I had no further problems. It will be 7 years in July since my surgery and it's been extremely successful so there's absolutely no reason why yours won't be. Take care, try and relax prior to your operation because if you go into theatre relaxed you'll have a better post op stay in hospital.

• Posted

Thanks Matron. I'm sure that my surgery will be successful although as a nurse unfortunately I do end up seeing the people who haven't had the best results sometimes. You're right being relaxed is very important and I work in a pre op area so at least it won't be unfamiliar surroundings and people which is a help.

• Posted

We are the worst patients, I was a nightmare and I knew the urogynaecologist and nursing staff who had to deal with me! It's good that you will know some of the staff. I cried in the anaesthetic room because I was scared but really there was no need. You'll be well looked after x

• Posted

I had a rectocele and the repair did help out with the constipation.  It didn't fix everything, but things were definitely worse pre-op.  I relied on stool softeners and glycerin suppositories (highly recommended)  so I didn't have to strain while recovering.  I was scared of harming the surgery so I worked really hard to make sure I didn't have to strain and it was ok, in spite of my worries.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.