Recurrent Bleeding

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I was on this forum before but haven't been in awhile. I had about 5 diverticulitis infections in about 4 years treated with antibiotics. I have IBS since I was 18. I am 55 now. I lost my eldest Brother and my Mother within 10 months of each other. This occured a little over a year ago. I started getting IBS flare ups since my Brother had gotten sick. I started having rectal bleeding pretty heavy with every bowel movement. A sigmoid test last Winter done by a Gastro Surgeon confirmed that it was not a fissure or hemorrhoids. He said it is something possibly a tear or diverticular leak. One of my pockets is 2cm. I have an ultrasound tomorrow and I see the Gastroenterologist in May. My last CT scan, colonoscopy and upper GI were done in 2015. I have a large portion of my colon with diverticular pockets.

Question: how long do these pockets leak for? If it's a tear wouldn't it be seen through the sigmoid

Thanks

Vivian

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Most diverticula are found in the sigmoid. Mine however was mod to severe in the descending colon also. The sigmoidoscopy only shows that part. CT should pick up them on scan. They will recommend further testing since your tests would be outdated 2015. That’s if you live in USA

• Posted

Thank you. I am in Canada but I imagine they will recommend the same. I guess I also don't know what to eat anymore.

Vivian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.