Recurrent mouth ulcers. Tips please?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I have been suffering from recurrent mouth ulcers for about eight months. The doctors think it's a herpes simplex virus. Each outbreak lasts for about two weeks, with two or three ulcers, some sorer than others depending on where they appear. I take Ibuprofen at night to stop the pain, and recently have been prescribed Acyclovir to take when I feel a new ulcer coming on...often it seems to be too late. It seems my immune system isn't working well: I take vitamin C, magnesium, and sometimes echinacea for a few weeks. I find the whole thing rather depressing. Grateful for all tips. Episodes seem to be triggered by stress and fatigue

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have mouth ulcers too they happen regularly every couple of months last around week n then disappear again I also get cold sores couple times a year I too have compromised immune system
  • Posted

I put cold sore cream on the cold sores and generally gargle with salt water they go away but always come back again so annoying
    • Posted

Thank you. Mine give me about a week's respite between outbreaks that last 2-3 weeks. Is that the same with you? Maybe I just need to start accepting that this is the way it is, and stop getting so upset about it...

• Posted

Maybe I should keep a diary of when it happens it's just seemed to happen ever since I've been on steriods and azathrioprine it's something I've accepted really. Although painful when the mouth ulcers are here they disappear when I gargle with salt water and I've been having cold sores for several years 

• Posted

I have started keeping a diary. Some are more painful than others. I must start the salt gargle again. Apart from Acyclovir (and I am not sure it helps) I take Vitamin C and magnesium, and sometimes echinacea for a few weeks. I resent it because I have always led a very healthy lifestyle...sport, good diet, etc. I am in my mid-sixties. 
    • Posted

I am sixty in October, I know what you mean about trying to keep healthy but unfortunately having never smoked n don't drink I'm not in good health but try to keep on top of things with good nutrition sadly I've still got complex health issues which is very frustrating but I'm very positive person and keep trying . Are you in uk

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.