Reduced citalopram too quickly..I’ve now got burning feet ..anyone else had this??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I’ve been on citalopram for 10years and 3 months ago reduced my 20 mg dose to 10 mg.

I only lasted a month before I had to increase back up

ive now got pins and needles and burning sensations in my feet and legs and pain there too.

ive been checked for diabetes and I’m clear

Has anyone else had this withdrawal symptom ??

Any help would be great 

thanks 

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Your reduction was too big..next time try to go to 15milligrams...so yea your having withdrawals..
  • Posted

Hi,

I have been on Citalopram 10 mg for several years and stopped completely a week ago. I also take a daily diuretic which isn't a good combination as it messes with potassium levels. I was feeling giddy, headachy and unwell and since stopping I have felt better in that respect. However I am aching all over especially after resting, I could hardly make it up the stairs this evening. My legs feel hot, my feet ache and I feel like I have cold symptoms but I haven't got a cold. I don't feel anxious, in fact I felt more anxious on them. I am sticking with it, not going back. I have some arthritis but this pain is not that. I'm hoping it will pass with time. I have developed tinnitus and that is a side effect of citalopram so that is another reason for stopping it. Because you were on a high dose it is best to gradually reduce. Hope it works out for you.

Regards

• Posted

Hi Jayn..

Thanks for the reply 

This isn’t my first time withdrawing ..3 years ago I came down from 40 mg slowly to 10mg ,which worked fine..I was then stupid and rushed the final dose to zero ..I persevered with the withdrawal symptoms for over a year..eventually I had to resume them for the sake of sanity 

i would urge you to go back on the 10 mg and reduce slowly even if it’s only over one month 

The withdrawal effects are worse than the side effects 

if you give your brain a month to get used to the reduction you hopefully will have less brutal withdrawal symptoms 

i wish you well 

a Kind Regards 

Pat

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your concern. I almost took 5 mg yesterday but when I was cutting my tablet it fell into the sink down the plug hole and I thought fate was stepping in so I didn't take it and now I am glad I didn't. Just going to ride it and keep busy and try to ignore it for as long as I can.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi 

you might want to consider taking 5mg as and when you are very bad ..it might work for you 

Let me know how you get on 

Regards 

Pat 

• Posted

Hi Pat,

I shall bear that in mind, thankyou.

I too have tried coming off citalopram before but have had to go back on them because my anxiety worsened. For the last 10 months or so, I have been getting light headedness, tiredness and generally feeling unwell, plus tinnitus. After numerous visits to the doctor, Rheumatologist, ENT, blood works, Echocardiogram etc all ok. I was diagnosed with early neck and spine osteoarthritis which could make me feel the way I was but I noticed that after taking citalopram I was getting a headache which made me wonder whether it was causing all of my weird symptoms. I take a diuretic for border line blood pressure and they prevent my migraines and with citalopram they could be affecting my potassium levels.

Since stopping citalopram I feel much better. I've done more today than I have in a long time so that is a good sign for me.

I was great the first week after stopping but lately I have been aching all over, very much like the symptoms you describe. I have whooshing noises in my head and brain zaps. Also, my appetite has increased.

I don't know how it is going to work out but I am going to stay busy and try not focuses on it too much.

I hope all works out for you too, I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards

J

• Posted

Hi Jayn

when you know someone who has problems with citalopram it gives you a “ bond”

i have thought about you a lot ,and hope you are managing withdrawal 

Kind  Regards 

Pat

Btw ..I too am riddled with OA ..and had a diuretic for borderline BP ..had to stop it as my potassium levels were too low 

• Posted

Hi Pat,

Nice to hear from you again. Hope you are doing ok.

Well, I crashed and burned didn't I. I was doing good but then had this horrendous headache for three days so I took your advice and have gone back to 5 mg. Now it's the aches and pains, light headedness, tiredness and occasional nausea. Having said that I push myself to try and carry on as normal even though I don't feel normal. Today hasn't been too bad, I seem to be better if I keep busy.

I have OA early stages in neck and spine. I have it in my knees also and since coming off citalopram it seems to have made my usual aches worse, even reducing makes it worse. I'm having aches now in hands and feet that I never had before. I am going to stay on 5mg for another week and then go down to 2.5mg.

I have to come off them because I only take anadin extra for pain which contains aspirin (only thing that works) and aspirin and citalopram is not a good combination, neither is bendroflumethiazide and citalopram. I have been on these meds for years and haven't been feeling well for some time. Blood works all ok though????

I was taking citalopram for health anxiety, that was before I was diagnosed with OA. Now I have aaccepted my diagnosis I don't feel anxious like before. I have tinnitus too which could have been caused by citalopram and aspirin, my ENT seemed to think all my problems stem from my OA in neck, cervical spondylosis.

So, upwards and onwards.

Thanks for keeping in touch, you're right, it's good to be able to talk to others with similar problems. So sorry you have OA too. Are you taking anything else for your BP? Let me know how you are doing.

Best wishes

• Posted

Did you try weaning properly from the celexa?just curious..or did you go cold turkey?
    • Posted

Hi Lois,

I went cold turkey at first from 10mg and felt great for a week or so before the withdrawal effects kicked in. Back on 5 mg for last few days. Head whooshing and zaps stopped now though.

• Posted

So of course your feeling the way you are...your having withdrawals.. reinstating the celexa should make it a little easier... praying for your health
    • Posted

Thanks Lois,

Yes it's going to take longer than I thought. Thanks for your kind thoughts, all the best to you too.

J

• Posted

Staying on five milligrams is not so bad...I know that aspirin and celexa aren't friendly but that's only if you have severe stomach problems..and according to your test seems all fine .. correct?and the celexa I know according to my phychiatrist is more not friendly to stomach issues with aspirin or ibuprofen when celexa is in high doses like 40milligrams.

• Posted

Yes that's right Lois, bloods all ok other than slightly raised inflammation marker. As far as I am aware, no stomach problems, just want to reduce meds to prevent any problems from developing.

• Posted

Hi 

sorry to hear of your ongoing problems 

it seems you have bad bad symptoms both on and off the citalopram..so you are between a rock and a hard place ..not nice at all 

I hope you manage to complete your withdrawal..I have resigned myself at my age to be on them for ever

i

l have had joint problems for 42 years ever since I fell down stairs from top to bottom when I was 6 months pregnant 

i dont take anything regularly ..I take co- dydramol when I have a bad flare up

My GP left the BP Meds alone as I was borderline..that was 3 years ago!!

I get very disillusioned with doctors..and in this climate things seem to be getting worse 

I’m from Lancashire..where are you from?

There is a site called surviving antidepressants which is quite good

Im just going for some hydrotherapy and a sauna which helps ..I’m lucky the Fitness Gym I go to has excellent facilities and is reasonablly priced 

let me know how you are 

Regards 

pat 

• Posted

Hi Pat,

Sounds like you have been through it too. How awful to fall down the stairs whilst pregnant. My uncle died through falling down the stairs and someone I worked with lost his daughter in law in the same way.

I've had neck and shoulder pain for the past 12 months or so, I can't imagine having it for 42 years, how awful. At first I didn't have the light headedness and muzzy head feeling, that started after physio sessions so I had to stop them. From doing research I believe that one of the exercises I was given to do actually makes symptoms worse.

My knee problems started after standing on a chair to clean my kitchen cupboards and one of the legs broke and I fell on my knees. Soon after I fell off the escalator in Debenhams again on my knees after taking my daughter for a hospital appointment for a hand injury that she did in work. Thought I'd give her a treat but she had to drive me home with her hand in bandage. My fault for turning around and being nosy and missing my footing.

My OA started with neck pain and I believe walking a friend's dog triggered it, constantly pulling on his lead. They say that about OA, you have it for years with no symptoms and then something like a sudden jolt or injury brings it to the surface.

Today has been a really good day. Went shopping with my husband and mother and bought a few things which cheered me up. Still on 5mg and not feeling anxiety although my mother can be very trying to say the least, just a bit stiff and achy but not as bad as I was.

I've been taking too many painkillers over these months and I believe this has contributed to my symptoms. I've cut back on them now and starting to notice a difference. I don't take any pain killers throughout the day just at night time. I use Flexiseq cream by day which I find good and it's drug free. I'm also watching my diet and adding Apple cider vinegar to food regularly.

I'm from Wales, we have a tendency to talk a lot.

Hope you enjoyed your hydrotherapy and sauna, sounds fab.

I know what you mean about being disillusioned with doctors, unfortunately they don't spend enough time with you, it's in and out. It's no good going to my doctor with more than one problem, there is a sign up which states than only one problem is to be discussed. We have to be pro-active, I read about OA and anxiety on the internet and have learned quite a lot.

Ok, if I don't stop now I'll go on all night.

My best wishes to you ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.