Reduced to 10mg feeling very anxious

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all I wondered if anyone could give me some advice. I have been on 20mg Citalopram since August 2014, in April this year I took it upon myself to start weaning myself off them and took one every other day and felt ok. I went to see a new doctor 2 weeks ago and he said he understands I have been feeling ok but it has not been for a long enough period and therefore recommended that I stay on them but to try a lower dose. He gave me 10mg and advised me to take one every day (which is the 20mg every other day) and now I feel terrible, I cannot sleep, I have really bad headaches, feel very anxious and irritable and for the first time in ages I feel very emotional. I am not liking this feeling, especially sitting here at work with people that have no empathy whatsoever. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi yvonne ,sorry to hear that you feel that way , i feel the same as i am withdrawing rom 2 nasty meds , to go on citoprolam , maybe the withdrawel is to fast you need to cut your dosage by 10% every month not by 50% like you have this causes a big change in chemicals in your body which you are use to , there for you are getting withdrawels , i am now down to a really small dose of to meds and i am going slow and having terrible withdrawels but i know its my body and brain adjusting so i have to take it one day at a time , not easy , but thats the problem with the drugs we take , they have unpleasant side effects , i hope you feel better soon , but go slower with your withdrawel , if you felt good on you previous dose go back to that then ask you gp to help you with a slow withdrawel program  take care , 
  • Posted

Hi Yvonne,

I did exactly the same as you about 3 months ago.  I started weaning myself off of 20mg to 10mg, taking 10mg every day.  Everything went well for me until about 8 weeks in and then crash........ My anxiety came back even more than ever.

The last few weeks have been truly hellish  with my anxiety at an all time high, I'm now back to the 20mg.

Ive discussed it at length with my Doctor and we both agreed that after being on them 6 years I tried to half the dose without any support, it was just too drastic, I've now started CBT and my Doctor has  signed me up to attend an anxiety clinic at our hospital.

You know I now feel that I'd rather be on 20mg for life than feel the way I did, it's no way to live, maybe in time with the help I'm now getting I can move down to 10mg, but to be honest I don't care anymore about reducing, citalopram at 20mg works for me and makes my life positive again.

Basically, take tiny steps in reducing and try and get some other form of support be it CBT or whatever works for you. 

Best of luck. 

• Posted

Firstly there is empathy here for you - it is so tough trying to carry on as "normal" and impossible to begin to explain to closed minds.  You are strong enouigh to seek help and make progress.  I have been on Cit for 6 years and tried to wean myself off it twice with no support - big mistake!  I too "crashed" and went back on 20mg.  I would rather stay on meds for as long as it takes to keep myself out of the pit of anxiety and depression.  See your doctor obviously (not that I take my own advice) but if 20 works for you, don't feel angst about it.  I wish you well. X
  • Posted

sorry to hear your not feeling too great. I say to people who don't understand my need for me to take Prozac, if you broke your leg you would be happy to have it fixed. My Prozac is just fixing a shortfall of something in the body and I feel great on it. When I went on holiday to Spain and forgot my tablets I got headaches and felt very lethargic, fortunately I was able to buy over the counter for €2.50, much cheaper than nhs prescription price.

hope you feel better soon. X

• Posted

When I reduced my medication, all I did was cut my tablets in half for a 10mg dose.  My box of 20mg's lasted twice as long then.  Even reducing to 5mg I again cut my tablets once more making my box last even longer :-) Good value for money!

Not sure why a difference of taking 20mg every other day to 10mg a day should happen, as they're both the same dose in effect, but I know reducing medication does give you those symptoms you described, so I would say you're having withdrawl effects.  If you can last it out for a few more weeks, those feelings should pass, but if not then maybe go back and see your doctor and up your dose again to 20mg for a while longer until you're ready to try again.

People who haven't experienced depression and anxiety have absolutely no idea how it feels, or even the struggle with medication.

You can take this medication for life if you need to, and some people find they can maintain their well being on just 5mg.  People with all manner of illnesses need medication for life, and depression is no different.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.