Reducing

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I went from 20mg down to 10mg and was told if the 10mg technically work, I can chose whether to stay on them or get off them. My anxiety is mild, I have only ever had two severe attacks it is just my last one hit me at the wrong time and I was worried.

Anywho.

Instead of taking one every other day to cut back, can I split a 20mg pill to get 5mg? Anyone do this?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Citalopram tablets come in two dose levels 10mg and 20mg. It is unadvisable you split tablets, especially at 10mg, this is the lowest value and should be taken as that, none of these tablets are supposed to be split. Generally, from the 10mg it should be easy to come off the drug. You will be expected to take the 10mg every day, without splitting

BOB

• Posted

Why?,  has your GP asked you to take Citalopram every other day ?.

You should be able to come off 10mg daily. Personally taking one medication every other day will not help as such, if You feel this method will work go for it although I feel you may not get any benefit from this way of working.

BOB

• Posted

He said I could stop OR take it every other day and then stop (I don't know how my body will react if I stop and I am just seeing what other people have done).

• Posted

Hello Pet

You can do it the way advised you have that choice, it seems He may worry that your,e Anxiety may be best treated by taking the drug every two days. Cutting off completely may worry you, hence that decision. You are on a very low dose now at 10mg, daily, personally I would bite the bullet.

All depends on how comfortable you are in your own skin.

• Posted

Hi, I was on it some years ago, got to 10mg and then took it upon myself, ( not advisable as you should go to your GP) to take one 10mg every other day. It felt like a security blanket rather than off altogether.  I did this for 2 onths and then stopped. It worked for me. It may have been more psychological than beneficial, we wont really know but i understand how you feel about just suddenly stopping. 
  • Posted

Hello Kayleigh, I was on citalopram 20mg for 8 years and I've been off it for about a year and a half now, was the best thing i've done. I weaned myself off it very gradually, one less pill each week then one every other day, after about 6 months i managed to get it down to 2 a week, then I went completely cold turkey ( if you do this then make sure you are VERY relaxed and have nothing to do for a month) I didn't have this, I was splitting up from my ex at the time after 9 years of being with him, I ended it btw ;-) , but it was harsh as ended up staying on sofas and guest beds for about 4 months between my sisters and my parents house's. ANYWAY...after all the electric shock feelings and not being able to go out, it wore off ( I would do some meditation to help calm breathing and focus)  yoga helped too, and eventually I started to go out and socialize with my old friends who ain't seen me out in years. I noticed I lost alot of weight, it just fell off, I have been a size 16uk all my adult life and now am a size 8-10uk. I feel great, I got a new man, made loads more friends since socializing more. it's changed my life for the better! I came off the pill just before I came off citalopram too so that could have something to do with weight loss too, I didn't really check cuz I can't rely on my doctors they are crap. anyway I hope that helps in some way, sorry for blabbering a bit, but it really has changed my life, I hope you have a positive outcome too. peace! 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up