Reducing Citalopram Help

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, i've been taking citalopram for nearly 11 years but my doctor now wants me to stop taking it. i'm on 20mg. She suggests taking half today a full one tomorrow and continue for a couple of weeks.

Is this too fast? i've read on here before that you should reduce slower than this.

Thanks for any advice.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

why does your doctor want you to come off? curious

• Posted

Seems really odd that, you should take the same dose every day, ie taper down to 15 mg for a few weeks to you feel comfortable, then down to 10's, after that 2.5 mg reductions to you feel comfortable, finally once your on 2.5 mg total, only then would I start missing days, doctors work in mysterious ways sometimes!

• Posted

HI Panda,why is your doctor telling you too stop,does your doctor feel that you don't need it any more.also i would suggest .if you do come off the medication,that you come off it slowly like 5 mgs every 5 weeks,as if you come off of it any faster then your withdrawal symptoms will be massive.

• Posted

i wouldnt advise dropping like that i went from 10mg to 5mg and been in hell for over 8 months!!! 10 percent drop is the safest way, doctors know nothing about withdrawal and dropping by 5mg is dangerous for some people, google surviving antidepressants, please dont learn the hard way like me! when i was first coming off i googled and lots on here were saying drop by 5mg but on other sites it says 10 percent!

• Posted

Hi,

I've been on cit for two and half years and it's taken me 7mths to get from 20mg to 2.5mg . It's taking a very long time but I've only experienced occasional slight side effects which haven't affected my day.

The key is to do it very gradually !

• Posted

Hi,

Its just an odd awareness of feeling dizzy and a little more tired than usual. Probs my patience levels are not as good either.

I'm determined to come off it. Not even sure if the tiny amount I am taking is doing any thing

• Posted

Thanks for all the replies and advice. still a little unsure what to do for the best.

@lois95799 she thinks they may not be working and i guess wants to try another medication after i've reduced citalopram

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.