Reducing dosage

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I have been on Cit for 18mths & gradually have reduced from 40mg to 20mg. After about 8 months on 20mg & two days ago I reduced to 15mg by cutting tabs ,I now am suffering with terrible brain zaps consisting of pressure in my head & dull ache also behind my eyes & feeling extremely tired. I obviously expected to suffer withdrawal symptoms but this has happened very quickly. Has anyone else had this & if so any idea how long it lasts. Very appreciative of any help. Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hey Lnda. Seek out this lady named Katecogs and she will be able to answer all your questions. She has a wealth of experience with Cit. Good luck!!!!’
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice. It's great to have your advice & concern it is really appreciated, & makes me fill I am not alone 😀

• Posted

John Did Effexsor 75 work for you. I noticed one of your old posts. I was on 37.5 for a month and was raised to 75 XL one week ago. Notice real improvement most days. When did you feel back to normal
    • Posted

Hi Lynn. Ive had to go back to the doc and she raised my dose up to 112 mg’s. Its been a week. I feel pretty crappy right now but hopefully it will kick in soon.  
    • Posted

Hope you see improvement soon. I was on sertraline for 23 years at 50mg, and it worked beautifully then pooped out this past June. They tried raising it for 13 weeks to 175 and I got worse and worse. I found out recently from a genesight test that I am a poor metabolizer for certain drugs and can only take a low dose. Sertraline was one of them and so is Effexsor. I started at 37.5 and noticed good improvement after a month. Last Thursday started on 75. I do feel better anxiety is much reduced as well as depression. Going to my third treatment of acupuncture which helps also. After being on this website I am amazed at how many people also struggle with anxiety disorders and depression. The side effects come back when they raise the dose. 

• Posted

9 days on new dose, did you get stomach ache and other side affects when your dose was raised for a while?
  • Posted

Hi Linda, getting brain zaps are very common when you either miss a few doses or are cutting down, they usually go within a few days but if they don't then it might be prudent to go back to 20mg and with the supervision of your GP cut down more slowly by cutting the tabs more slowly.

You might want to see how you are in a couple of days having given your chemistry time to adjust to the lower dose before doing anything, after which if your still exoeriencing these symptoms perhaps consult your GP. 

• Posted

What I've learned per experience is tapering only 3-5% every 2-4 week's. The first taper waiting a month to see how you stabilize. This being if you've been on a while.

Also one can reinstate the med for a limited time. My doctor's as well as 100s of others I've heard from people are clueless on tapering properly. They do it way to fast and often switch you to another. 25 year's experience with SSRI's for me. Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac. Do your homework on SSRI's for yourself and all meds before taking. The side effects, long term issues, side effects, withdrawals etc. Very typical withdrawals your experienceing. I suffered many months. Just my experience. I wish you the best.

• Posted

Many thanks for your advice, it's very appreciated 😀

• Posted

I agree with Aspinan

And the points and advice made

I am on my second time round but when I did reduce ... over a year... from 20 mg

I would reduce by 2.5mg a time and on alternate nights - 20/17.5/20/17.5

And so on

I had no major side effects 

And stayed on that for two weeks minimum before the next reduction

If I felt a wobble. Which I did. I would go back to the last dose for a further 2 weeks then start again

I used a pill cutter and 10 mg tabs

I kept all the bits and used those up too 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.