Reducing thyroid medication and feel terrible

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi, I was diagnosed overactive thyroid last May, been on carbmizole since then and my levels got to normal around August last year. I’ve gradually tried to reduce meds. Last reduction was last week to 5mg a day (bloods were tsh 3.3 and ft4 12) so well in normal range. 

But I just feel terrible, really tired like I fall asleep every night at about 7 on sofa. I feel agitated again like when was really overactive and really hormonal! Plus my hair is still falling out and I’m concerned I’m developing a bald patch on back of head. Consultant just seems to want to get me on lowest dose of meds possible and keep stable until daughters older and then have radioactive iodine but I’m fed up of the constant up and down mood swings. Any advice? Particularly about the hair loss, surely if my bloods are normal this should stop? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI,  I was diagnosed with a mild case of hyperthyroidism about 2 years ago. I never took the prescription drug (because of all the side affects)  but went on vitamins and supplements.  I feel good and my doctor is fine with the vitamins instead of prescription meds.  If you take nothing else take L-Carnitine 2,000-4,000mg a day..  I also take Calcium, Magnesium, B-Complex  and,Vitamin D3. I wish you the best.  This is a confusing disease but you will eventually feel better. Best Wishes  
  • Posted

i'd think if you have a case of HYPERthyroidism ..that the above advice is likely helpful .

but i really think if it were me .. that i'd like to know how the doctor came to the conclusion that it was HYPERthyroidism

and did he blood test you for antibodies .

if you have antibidies in  your blood it could be that you have Graves' disease ...

i have Graves' disease ..although am now Euthyroid... i.e. Normal

was it your doctor put you on Carbimazole or was it an Endocrinologist ?

Were you told you have Graves' disease ?

I was treated with 20mg Carbimazole per day for a few months, then down to 10mg  and didn't take long for my Numbers to come near to normal range ... then down to 5mg  for a while 

i was getting much better ..but it apparently takes some time for that Hormone to lower within your body and your symptoms linger for a while ..

like a few of us on here  you can start to easily control if from there .. as long as your TSH  etc.  are where they should be .

if you print out your last blood results in their entirety including numbers in brackets 

which are your lab ranges then we may be able to help a bit better .

your results belong to you and your surgery is obliged to give them to you.

good luck

mx🌹

• Posted

Hiya, 

My last bloods was 2.7 tsh, is that normal range? And free t4 12? Last May it was below 0 tsh and 78 ft4 and they diagnosed graves 

• Posted

Hi honey. One thing I have learnt is although blood ranges are set as guidelines, I was advised that they all depend on your body. My gp said I was borderline hyper, my endocrinologist couldn’t believe just how bad it was and how poorly it had made me. I would speak to your endocrinologist if you can xx 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up