Reduction from 10mg to 5mg Amlodipine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there! Has anyone had their meds reduced from 10 to 5mg and did you feel a difference?

Im hoping that my hair starts to get strong again and that the damn water retention goes☺ fingers crossed!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there - Well I must say that I never had the feet/ankle swelling until I was switched from 5 mg to 10 mg - (had all the other bloody symptoms).  I will say fairly soon after I took myself off the 10mg, my feet & ankles returned to normal size. I haven't noticed a difference in my hair per se, just an overall rapid aging in the last couple of years.  I have been off all Amlodipine for 11 days & can already feel a "spring in my step", my symptoms are less each day - still a little headachy/fuzzy at times. I cannot even believe how this drug poisoned my body.  I know some people have little to no side effects & have taken it for years, but I guess I am just super sensitive to drugs.  I couldn't really tolerate birth control pills when I was younger either. I hope your swelling goes down, aside from it being very unattractive it also hurts when your feet are blown up like a tick! Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi Debra! Thanks for responding, it gives me hope that some stmptoms may ease even though im still on the meds. If i carry on like i have been im hoping to be off them in 6 months! Cant bloody wait :-)
  • Posted

I absolutely felt a difference in very short order going from 10mg to 5mg.  I also felt it quickly when my Doc doubled my dose.  When I was reduced by my Doc to 5mg  my ankle swelling went down, back to normal within 10days to 2 weeks.  My left hip and knee joint stopped being so painful (it was hard for me to walk even).  My frame of mind improved greatly.  Eventually, I weabed myself off of the 5mg (& monitored by BP) and told my Dr. that I would not take it anymore.  I currently take 40mg of benicar (generic olmesartin) and 25mg HCTZ.  BP is under control.  Yay!  Good luck with your journey!!

• Posted

Im so glad to hear that you are feeling better since cutting back! Im hopeful that the same happens to me😊 i too have aches and pains and now wonder if its the meds and not the way i sleep thats causing it! Thanks for the feedback sean?

• Posted

Hi Monika - Curious what specific aches & pains that you are experiencing - even though I am "off" the Amlodipine, I am experiencing pain in my lower calf in my right leg - while on the Amlodipine, I had experienced warm, sometimes painful calves, but this is now in the one leg - oh gosh, something else to fret about - Ugh!

• Posted

Hi Debra, i started with hip pain about 3 months ago and although its eased its not entirely gone and i wake up stiff. So I im unsure if its the cause of the meds or if its just me☺ fingers crossed that things improve! I will update in 2-3 weeks for any signs of improvement☺
  • Posted

So, 3 weeks since i've gone from 10 to 5 mg amlodipine and can defo feel the difference! Swelling is reduced in my ankles and the aching i was feeling in my hip and knee are completely gone. Can't wait til im off this completely!

• Posted

Hi Monika - You and I experienced similar symptoms.  When I was increased from 5mg to 10mg , after one week I could barely walk down the block because the pains in my left knee and hip were almost unbearable.  And my ankles turned into sausages.  My doc let me cut back to 5mg and I eventually weaned off of that dose as well while monitoring my BP at home.  Currently, I take 40mg Benicar (generic olmesartan) and 25 mg hydrochlorothiazide.  BP continues to be under control.  Good luck and getting back to normal.  It won't take long!

• Posted

Hi Monika I'v just had my tabs reduced from 10 to 5 mg did you have side effects with the reduction for a few days.    Kind regards Debrs

• Posted

Hi, other than the positives that I mentioned, no.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply I have been on 5mg for 6 days now no swelling also not feeling like I'v got a cold (don't no if that was tabs ) but not sure about tablet.   Kind regards Debra

• Posted

so does the 10 make you retain more water and damage your hair? Dr might be upping mine to the 10 mg

• Posted

Hi I have been off 10mg 6 days on 5mg definitely noticed my hair and no swelling.       Kind regards Debra
  • Posted

hi monika , i had mine stopped altogether by consultant gastroenterologist ,oh the head aches after , just be aware you just might get  a few head aches ,

...I have a query about AM  if taking grapefruit makes AM  reduce blood pressure to much,  ..Just  me thinking outside the box ,why not just take grapefruit if it does that .when taking AM

Monika it's just a thought by me ,  but i could be well wrong i never tried it just went cold turkeycry

• Posted

REDUCING AMLODIPINE  FROM 10MG TO5MG.

Yes I have recently.done this, I am a 79 year old guy. When a junior doctor increased my  5mg to 10 mg about 3 months ago I suffered a lot from stinging legs and stinging between the toes. I had had this before but the stinging pain increased  a lot when I started  taking 10mg preventing me from sleeping . I would go to bed at about 10 pm and usually wake about 3 am with this strong stinging.then unable to sleep again until when I get up about 6am.Then about 4 days ago I tried reducing the 10mg back down to 5mg and this reduced the stinging 90%

However I was persuaded to re-start the 10mg again and I am a bit concerned the sting will start again.My blood pressure is fine  and |I  want to reduce  the amlodipine to 5mg.  .Another possibility is to take 5mg twice a day which seems to work also after a short trial. All comments appreciated..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.