Reflux

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've got a small hiatus hernia and stomach polyps and usually get along OK (ish) with Omeprazole and some liquid Gaviscon as and when (which was very rare to be honest).  I've just finished a concoction of Antibiotics to treat Lyme Disease and, as a way of celebrating, I had a few glasses of wine.  BIG mistake.  That was almost 2 weeks ago and, since then, I feel like from the back of my nose, down my gullet and to as far down as my midriff, it feels like I'm on fire.  I feel a little sickly, aching ribs, soreness and wake in the night choking from time to time.  My GP has taken me off Omperazole and given me Ranatadine.  I thought it was getting better (had latest tabs for a week) but been as bad as ever today.  She wants me to have a blood test which is nearly a week away.  Desperate to feel better.  By the way I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago and she has also suggested a stray gallstone in my pancreas?  Just want to feel OK again.  Any advice would be great thank you 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I really feel for you Wendy.   I feel so desperate to feel better that it has become an obsession which I  guess  doesn't help with the stress aspect of it all.  Sending you positive healing thoughts.
    • Posted

Aww bless ya Margot, I know exactly what you mean.  I am obessed with it too and I just know stress is not good.  Trouble is when you have got new meds and try to avoid things that set it off you wonder what else you can do don't you?  Well, I feel much better just knowing that others know where I am coming from and I'm taken aback with some of the tips.  The water thing is like a light bulb moment for me.  Drink pints of the stuff!  Let's hang on in there and help each other - I've had so much help already it's fab.  Take care x
    • Posted

I agree Wendy - let's hang in there and help each other along.  I can't believe all the help and advice that kind people have posted on here. So much advice to try and hopefully something will help eventually.  It helps enormously and to know you're not alone with your fears and worries.  You take care too. X
  • Posted

Hello Wendy,

Sorry about your trouble. It sounds like your original trouble - reflux? - that I presume you were given the Omeprazole for, has flared and gained a hold, possibly through the antibs, which, along with simple painkillers over a few months, began my gastritis back in 2012. It is hopefully a matter of trying to get your burned tissues healed over time and the trouble more settled.

The measures that help me to a degree are below. They will seem long-winded, but as you know yourself, the pain and discomfort of these things are truly horrible, so I try to share anything that might help just one poor sufferer to gain some improvement. I wish you well.

Several small/medium meals per day (I have seven medium, one every two hours or so), rather than fewer bigger ones, so you don't overfill your stomach. Eat relaxed, chew well. Be sat upright for and after meals, not bent or reclining, so you don't squash your stomach and press its contents upwards.

Fried foods, high-fat foods/meats, dairy, high-salt foods, spicy-hot foods, tomatoes, carbonated drinks, caffeine, alcohol and chocolate can all impact on stomach and reflux troubles for some people, so personal experimentation is key. Minty foods relax the lower oesophageal muscle, as do some of the above foods and drinks, which can let acid up easier, so they are bad. I use a fruity toothpaste, and strawberry gaviscon tablets for the now only occasional acid burn.

Wholewheat bread, cereals, bananas, hardboiled eggs are a few of the foods that suit me, but there are pulses, rice, various beans (not kidney beans apparently) and many other things to try. Chicken is one of the best meats due to its lower fat content, though even that can hit me and is not eaten lately.

Stress, excercise and bending activity that pressure and squeeze the stomach are also to be avoided. Be as calm and stress-free as you can.

Having your last meal a few hours before bed can prevent or lessen reflux at night, but I found that waiting to be too empty caused hunger discomfort, assorted spasms and kept me awake. Because of this I lie down about an hour and a half to two hours after last meal, and this is much better. I lie raised a bit on three pillows, on my right side, which is best for me, though the left side is usually recommended. Other people raise the bed-head itself about 6 to 8 inches or use a wedge affair..

Another thing that helps me greatly is to not burp after ten minutes after eating, as this can bring acid up and cause heartburn. I get the swallowed air out gently just after the meal, sittiing a little forward, then don't burp till after the next meal.

Water triggering heartburn is common. It can happen even with non-ill people. I learned that the best way to get my daily requirement is to drink around 130 ml or so with each meal, which, in my case, is added to by some sips of a nutrition drink. So generally I don't have to drink between meals, a thing which would slow my digestion a bit anyway and interfere with my set meal times.

In tests there was an indication that some people with reflux suffer heartburn through drinking water in several gulps because their lower eosophageal muscle doesn't open and close correctly when doing this with fluid, and so acid can escape upwards. But just adding water to your stomach between meals, when there is still food and fluids in there, will increase its volume and raise it nearer to the top where the muscle is, the pressure of which, if too much water is drunk, can then cause the muscle to open and let stomach fluid up. Cold water can also cause spasms, so sips of usual water is best.

Some say to drink water only between meals at points when the stomach is empty, but that cannot always be done easily - certainly not in my case, where I need to eat every couple of hours or will lose more weight. I can't have between-meal water slowing things down. So I find that a little drink of water with each bite of food that gets well chewed, then a few more af the end of the meal does the trick. I also have water with two cereal meals, which may sound utterly bland but is fine to me, as I avoid dairy milk and have yet to try my cereals with the likes of oat, rice, almond or soya milk. But they are good milk substitutes for people who don't/can't have dairy, unless a person has issues with them.

• Posted

Fantastic Paul.  I am going to print off your tips and keep them handy.  I will try anything to get rid of this awful gnawing pain.  Did you ever suffer from choking in the night?  It scares me but at least I know what it is now.  I certainly will never drink wine again that's for sure.  it's simply not worth it.  could I just ask, do you suffer with weight gain if you eat little bits and often though?  I've always been a big girl but gained a stone when I had Lyme as I felt so ill all I could face was toast and crisps funnily enough - probably after the salt.  I'm only eating chicken at the moment  and porridge made with water.  We'll get there!
    • Posted

Hi, I did seem to suffer a bit more throat trouble in the past - as it happens before I stopped adding oats to my cereal meals, though I can't swear they played a part in it. But having said that I do still have some hoarseness and periods of worse hoarseness mostly after the occasional incident of acid burn, usually through a stomach/oesophageal spasm if I accidentally go to bed a bit too close to the start of hunger.

As for weight, I have more difficulty getting it on than off! Hence Fortisip nutrition drinks to help a bit presently. It's like a mathematical challenge to maximise calories via foods with seven or eight meals that don't upset or worsen things, which has been a long and still ongoing process - trial and error in an effort to gain/keep weight and make the diet a bit less bland without incurring setbacks. But they do occur.

Hopefully you'll develop a helpful more varied dietary routine, though we instinctively cling to foods that don't make things worse, which can result in fear to veer away from them. It's like I'd sooner be somewhat underweight and more comfortable with my present meals, than push too hard with other foods, gain weight but come acropper! But adding one new thing to try at a time is best, so you can tell where you stand with it after a few or several days.

• Posted

Dear Wendy - so sorry to hear of your pain and discomfort.  I also have a small hiatus hernia and also throat inflammation. My symptoms are that I have an icy/burning sensation in the areas that you mention. Am desperate to get some relief and am trying all sorts.  We must try to keep our thoughts positive but sometimes this is so difficult.  It was wonderful to hear from Laura that there can be hope and I guess we have to focus on that.  Sending you healing positive thoughts. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.