Reflux back again and no gallbladder

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. I've had my gallbladder out almost 3 years ago and for a very long time had really bad symptoms I've never experienced before. I had removed it short after I gave birth to my only child. My symptoms started few days later such as diahrrea, heartburn, burning in stomach, chest pain, and nausea. It got better eventually but it took forever. I got gastritis and h pylori few years later and also got better from that. Recently I start having a burning /lump feeling on my throat , chest pain in my breastbone , all signs of reflux. I've had a endoscopie last year for my stomach pain and valves are working fine. I'm wondering if this is related to not having a gallbladder and bile passes to stomach and together with acids causes pain in my gullet? I did start eating a lot more things I shouldn't like chocolate and pastries and coffee.  I guess the liver produces more bile when we eat fatty foods or drink  caffeine and now I'm paying for that. I really hope I can get better afpgain otherwise I'll be worrying if it's chronic bile reflux which can be very painful.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Since the gallbladder was removed the bile is now constantly dripping into the intestine. It doesn't produce more bile with fatty foods, that's what the gallbladder previously did. Your body can't digest fatty foods the same so more of the fats will pass through you now without being digested. 

The fact you've had h pylori and gastritis in the past could be causing it too. I had gastritis a lot of years ago on and off for a good few months. Then had a month of lansoprazole and was ok for years. Came back suddenly about 2 years ago and was agony! Tbh I'd think it was more oesophagus being irritated. I'd ask to be tested for the h pylori again too. Think the other thing is hiatus hernia as well. Def go back and see your GP though. Hopefully something simple like omeprazole for a short while may help  xx

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to see my GP and I'm sure he'll give me some PPI but if it's bile I know by experience it won't improve my symptoms completely. I actually asked my mum in Portugal to sent me sucralfate oral suspension to coat my throat/ stomach  and see if symptoms improve. That's what gastro told me to take after my surgery. I just want to feel normal again.

• Posted

Think some people have been prescribed Cholestyramine powder or welchol to help with too much bile xx
  • Posted

Have you recently consulted a doctor?  If your symptoms are down to an overproduction of bile, there are medications that can help. Try gradually increasing fibre in your diet as this helps soak up excess bile. 

I was also prescribed Omeprazole which I took for three months post op to aid digestion. I can't tolerate large amounts of fat. For example I can eat one egg without problems but if I eat two in the same meal I do get pain and bloating. I rarely eat pastries or desserts other than 0% yogurt and fruit. I never eat fried foods or chips. Can't eat much cheese either. I can tolerate small amounts of chocolate.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. I try to avoid a lot of fatty foods too and was feeling ok. I eat chocolate sometimes and avoid caffeine at all costs.But recently I overdid all of that without realising I was getting reflux. Started with a cough after eating something then a burning throat now I feel chest pain and lump sensation.  I'm not eating much because it hurts just drinking milk shakes ( complan) with vitamins & minerals. 

i've heard about bile binders but do they work for binding bile in stomach? I thought that was used for people with diarrhoea after gallbladder surgery.

• Posted

Hi just came back from a doctor which prescribed me esomeprazole to take twice a day for now. I hope it will help me. For the love of God.

I guess I'll have to be even more strict with what I eat... I'm already . Not eating much. Strange this happening after almost 3 years of my surgery. 

• Posted

Think bile binders work for symptoms other than diarrhoea. I hope the esomeprazole helps the heartburn. Husband take this as he has an hiatus hernia and he rarely gets symptoms now. Sometimes he'd actually be sick from the heartburn.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.