Reflux Globus

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi and i know the feeling ! My troubles started approx 10 mths ago, Ive had 2 times scope with different doctors as after the first test i still had the choking sensation and desperatley wanted a second opinion. I have reflux and have tried all remedies so far, from slippery elm and apple cider vinegar, licorice, peppermints etc.... and then the medical remedies such as somac, nexium, gaviscon , all without any positive outcome. The PPI's setteled the reflux somewhat but the globus sensation has never gone away. I have tried a gluten free & Lactose free diet for 6 months , and also not much of a difference, to be honest i have not had a single day relief from the choking sensation. The swallowing got to the point that i panicked on and off and even spent some days at the ER. I have had a BA Swallow done last week and everthing has come back perfectly normal. It was only yesterday that i have had a consult with my doc and have finally received information how to handle and treat this condition. He has given me a light anti deppresant to treat the muscle and nervs in the oseaphagus. This has been explained to me. Globus sensation is actually a nerv in the muscle which misfires to the stomach, it sends out signals to "cramp" up the oesophagus and it pushes the acid upwards instead of downwards, which makes alot of sense. At night time while asleep the acid can be pushed up to the back of the throat and actually cause some damage in that region, when i awake in the mornings i have an immediate lump in the throat and thought it had something to do with pressure, but its the acid that has built up overnight and even feels like a gurgling crackling sensation at times, this  is the gas which gets pushed up with the acid. My doc recommends to take a quarter of the anti depress ONLY at night time to relax the muscle and nerv and he a pretty convinced that this will help after a short time , at least to minimise the constant swallowing and choking sensation. Sure i still need to watch my diet and take somac to reduce the reflux. Due to swallowing more frequently the globus sensation gets more severe, my advise is to try and not swallow too much , i know it sounds easy , but with a little praxis it really works, I have promised to share this experience once i have found a solution or remedie which could make living with it easier , as i have suffered so much with this reflux and hope i can help anyone with this information. Sorry for the long story   i hope this helps 

thanks for reading 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

This is amazing as I am actually on exactly the same page as you . I had a Peptest that told me I was refluing slightly at a night .. Enough to cause a tiny amount of irritation to my larynx ( found this out through an ENT camera. The gastro camera dos not pick this up ) I have since bought a wedge pillow to stop the acid rising up .. And I take a swig of gaviscon advance before bed to coat my throat . The ENT told me the irritation was that tiny that I did not warrant any further medication or investigation . I'm giving myself 6 months of the wedge pillow and then I wi go back and ask for another ENT camera plus I will carry out another peptest to see if the levels of pepsin have reduced . Mine was at a range of 75 .. They expect 500 in severe reflux cases . Heres hoping we get to the end of this ay .. Ive had this for 6 months and although I try not to focus on it as much it is so hard ..
  • Posted

Dear Carol, Thanks for your detailed notes. I finished up going to see a Kinesiologist after 3 months of little progress. The back of my throat was burnt due to the Acid Reflux. I changed my diet, stopped all multi vitamins reduced amount of nuts and seeds I ate daily. I went on a daily dose of Probiotic with 30 billion CFU, after seeing the Kinesiologist i added a twice daily dose of Betaine with enzynes (before meals) and Acidophilus, Aloe Vera juice and Phyosan a blend of various herbs. Immediately I have experienced some relief.   

I look forward to hearing of your ongoing improvement.

• Posted

Hi Carol:  I'm glad to hear you have had some relief.  This globus sensation is very baffling.  There are many people who have it and are getting different diagnoses from their doctors.  What is the name of the anti-depressant you are using?
  • Posted

Hi Carol

i got immediate relief just using DGL. I tried slippery elm and aloe and ACV but I dont think they helped much. I have managed to get rid of it using a totally different approach than those put forward by many on this forum.

• Posted

I'm going to start using that . How much did you take and how often . I too tried acv slippery elm aloe Vera and nothing has changed .
  • Posted

Hi Carol:

It seems you have gone down the same road I and many others have traveled :-(

If indeed you have done all the tests and treatments to rule out any sinus or allergy and have found that most feel it is reflux but the medicine while helping is not clearing things up, particularly the lump in your throat that ever goes away and causes you to constantly try to clear your throat.

You might wannt to look into Laryngeal Sensory Neuropathy (LSN). After about 4 years of dealing with this and other symtopms I ran accross a video online where a guy is explaining his journey and while mine is different it struck a chord and led me to look into LSN.

To make a long story tolorable, I started a new medication 10 days ago and I am 90% better. Also when looking into LSN, you will have to go to a nurologist or Otolaryngologist. It is very possible your other doctors will not even know what it is.

• Posted

Hi Carol I am going for a Barium Swallow test this coming Wednesday . I have this pain in my throat, like something  is stuck inside my throat. its Frikn Horrible'. I also have this white creamy thing on my tongue which could be bacteria and I burp constantly, people think its a disgusting habit, but when it cannot be helped it cannot be helped. If it were treatable then that would be nice but when People point the finger and judge others on something they know nothing about it irritates me' , Im thinking they have perfect lives'.Its horrible it exhausts me and half the time I dont feel hungry cause I already feel bloated but from what? Nothing . I eat as much as I can . but end up feeling like throwing up it upsets me, Im hoping this barium swallow test will give me answers and hoping that its not a bad result. I 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.