Reflux, i have been terrified for 2 months now

Posted , 6 users are following.

Can anyone please help me I am from The small island of Barbados, and was diagnosed with GERD 2 months ago and everyday since that timebi have been getting the symptoms of a heart attack everyday along with constant dizziness and constant weakness, I am on Omeprazole 40mg twice daily and Metoclopramide 10mg three times daily, I am terrified can someone Please Help Me

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michael,

You're so lucky to live in Barbados, ive been twice, its a beautiful island! I live in the rainy/cold UK.

I have also been diagnosed with GERD, i have a sliding hiatus hernia, erosive gastritis and duodenitis and with the hernia it has caused GERD. I also take 40mg of Omeprezole daily. The burning sensation and nausea have now gone, but i still get intermittent chest pain, sore throat and husky voice (but it has improved a little) have you had an endoscopy/Gastroscopy? maybe if you are still having so much pain you should go back to the Dr?

• Posted

Sincevmy discharge from the hospital I have been back to the ER about 3 times and I paid numerous visits to the polyclinic, I am so terrified of falling asleep and I keep getting the chest pains where my heart is and bit radiates to my neck,jaw,shoulder and left hand, sometimes the pain is sharp and constant which last all day for days at an end, and the constant dizziness and weakness is making matters work, they did not do a barian swallow on me don't know if they do that here but I had a number of heart test, done and chest xray done a cat scan done and blood work which came back negative, can't understand why I havebro suffer like this,this is 2 month I have not work because of this sickness, I am 42 and self employed, I have a 4 year old son and my girlfriend is about 3 months pregnant and things are hard, this GERD is affecting me mentally, physically, emotionally and financially, at least in the UK I would have better medication and health care

• Posted

Oh no that sounds terrible, im not a medical person hopefully a medical person will see your post and offer some advice. GERD can cause lots of those nasty symptoms that youve described. I hope you get some answers and better treatment soon
  • Posted

Michael   Have you seen a gastroenterologist doctor for this?  It appears to be similar to what i had and needed surgery,,,,,depending on what your test results are...ph probe and motility study those were the tests i had to do., and endoscoopy as well,  Before that they gave me nexium 40mg it was the only thing that worked until surgery....check with your dr.   good luck  liz
  • Posted

Maybe the current stress in your life is making your condition worse? It almost seems like a form of anxiety. Anxiety dosent always present itself in a straightforward way, and feeling like your having a heart attack when you have anxiety isnt uncommon. If everything checks out ok at the doctors, maybe try a phsycologist. Anxiety most likely not your whole problem, but it could be making it MUCH worse.
  • Posted

You've got to learn to tell yourself it ain't a heart attack.read up on chest pains associated with your gerd condition. It could help your anxiety attacks. They also need to be managed mentally.try relaxing methods like deep breathing and yoga. Go for walks. Anything to take your mind of it.it ain't gonna cure your gerd but will help the mental side of it.... Then totally revamp your diet.so many symptoms are associated with this.im in the same boat as you nearly but not dealing with the mental side cost me and my partner to separate... I got 4 year old lad and spend a lot of time with him. I have 16 year old son too and also spend time with him.these all help. It's the time alone were I used to think of the heart attack feelings and cancer etc.. I thought I had everything.anxiety attacks kept me awake but I've learned to fight it..... I wish you good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.