Reinjury herniated disc L5-S1

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello!

I had a microdisectomy on November 20, 2015 to fix a herniated disc at L5 S1. I recently had to start going back to ortho for recurrent pain in my back and my left leg. Instead of walking to make it feel better I actually have the opposite. The longer I walk the more pressure and pain builds in my lower back until I physically cannot stand anymore. I'm heartbroken. I am a young 33 year old, single parent of a 10 year old boy. Going to the zoo, nope. Playing in the park, nope. Even grocery shopping is out of the question. Doc had me do physical therapy for 4 weeks, but even the therapist said it wasn't working. Had another MRI done and doc said the same disc had herniated again but not as bad as the last time. Went and had an epidural spinal injection last Wednesday and today is the first day the searing nerve pain down my leg has abated back to its usual randomness. But alas that has gotten no better.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong. Why would this happen again. Doc said he only was going to do one shot because of that didn't at least help, it was a waste to do more. I call back on Wednesday to report in my pain levels. For those who have had a relapse, is surgery the next likely step? I feel like I have no one to talk to about this. I'm sure my family and friends are tired of my complaints. I'm just so lost. Any words of advice?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear of your continuing pain on this. While traditional physio is not working, you could try looking at the Egoscue method, there's lot of stuff on YouTube and it's not painful like other physio may be. Maybe worth a try.

I know the frustration of people not understanding and often we keep things in which also is not good.

I hope the docs give you some treatment route to assist, I'm also a L5/S1 victim.

Are you based in the U.K. or US ?

• Posted

I will have to look into egoscue. Never heard of that before. I'm based in the US. And you? I call the doctor tomorrow to see what he wants to do so hopefully I will have a little bit more answers.

• Posted

Heh Crystal, I'm based in th UK in London - hope the doctor session went well. My 10 days off work start from today - so tomorrow I start on focusing on physio. I know it's going to be a bit of a chore, but through trial and error will try to build a routine that I think is manageable.

Stay well

Jay

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.