Reintroducing Citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on 20mg Citalopram for 2 years and decided in January to wean myself off them. I did this over a period of 5 weeks gradually getting down to 10mg a day. Then the anxiety and spaced out feelings started so I upped the dose to 15mg for a few weeks then decided I needed to go back to 20mg and perhaps taper off more slowly next time. I am feeling very anxious and tearful at the moment even though I have been back up to 20mg for 4 weeks now. I a wondering if my brain is 'confused' by the reduction in dose then going back up to the original dose over a period of 3 months? How long until it settles down again as I did feel very well on 20mg in the past.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue I have varied the dose and I don't think that was a good idea so I am sticking with my 20 gms until I feel better. Good luck pat x r

• Posted

Thanks Pat. I do feel very odd at the moment, I can do usual stuff but don't feel quite here, if you know what I mean. Hoping that the 20mg will settle in soon. Good luck to you too. Sue x

• Posted

Hi Sue

I came off Citalopram and spent a year doing so by reducing by 5mg each time and spending about 1-2 months on each reduction and doing it this way had no withdrawal effects (unlike the first time I came off).  5 weeks is really too quick as withdrawal should be done over many, many months.

I suspect you're having withdrawal effects plus side effects of reintroducing the meds again.

When I restarted the meds (before I withdrew for a year) it took much longer for the meds to kick in, and I had a different experience and side effects than the first time on meds.  Though it took longer 2nd time around, I didn't have all the nausea, headaches, anxiousness, tearfulness etc, but instead just had months of a completely flat nothing feeling, making me totally unmotivated in everything.

You'll probably find the side effects will wear off before you start feeling well again.  Everyone's different.

Just keep on persevering though - it'll work again.

K x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your encouraging words Kate. I came off them once before a few years ago but ended up on them again. This was my second attempt to come off them and like you found, the side effects were different and very unpleasant so I'm back up to 20mg but thought it would settle in quickly .... I was wrong! they do work for me so once they start to do their job properly, I'm sticking with them! Sue x

• Posted

It is strange how it can be so different when you stop / restart the meds.  I know everyone is different but was surprised when I found it was different with the same person / same meds (me). wink

Yes once they settle its a good idea to stay on them.  When I was on them I lowered my dose and stayed on that for years and I intended staying on them for life, but curiosity got the better of me again.  I've been off them since last August and now take 5-HTP instead and am still doing good.  However I'd return to Citalopram in an instant if I found I started struggling again.

Hope it goes well.

K xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.