Reintroducing fiber after episode

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

It has been 2 weeks now since my flareup, 10 day regimen of meds are done and been on low residue diet for 7 days. The only symptoms I still have are loose stool due to lack of fiber and discomfort in lower abdomen/rectum area before and after stool movement. I'm wondering when I should reintroduce fiber into my diet and in what measure, any ideas welcomed.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I’d take it very slow. It takes more than 2 weeks for your intestines to heal.  That you still have discomfort tells me you’re not better yet. If you’re hungry make some crockpot meals.  They are easy to digest because they are soft.

I’d watch the amount of fiber for a while. Take little steps. 

• Posted

Loose stools could be related to antibiotics also. I was on a low residue for 3 weeks but mainly because I was so nauseous. I had oatmeal yesterday and that was ok a little discomfort. I would definitely add one thing at a time to see if your body can handle it. For women it’s rec 25 gms of fiber per day on low end. Google rec fiber for men with dd
  • Posted

The advice to add fiber back in unfortunately doesn't talk about the type of fiber. There is soluble fiber and then there is insoluble fiber. If you look at a lot of the posts, it seems the insoluble fiber may be a culprit in a lot of folks. I stay away from insoluble fiber as much as possible. I take a dose of Miralax everyday and have been symptom-free for 2 years now. I do not eat any skin on fruits or vegetables, no nuts or seeds or popcorn and coconut. No corn either. Anything that comes out the way it goes in is off my list! Keep a food diary. A friend of mine with this disease just visited her gastro doc. He said it was a bunch of nonsense and to eat everything, however the nurse practitioner said and all the cases she sees it always seems it's related to insoluble fiber. My friend said she started to eat nuts again and had a flare. She had been flare free for 3 years

• Posted

Thanks Linda..coincidently, just before this latest flare, I had eaten a small bag of almonds and the day before had Thai food with crushed peanuts in it. My gastro agreed that even though the consensis is that seeds and nuts are ok, he has observes this pattern as well.
  • Posted

Welcome! I really miss eating peanuts and almonds but I don't do it anymore. About 4 years ago I can point directly to pistachio nuts as my problem. Good luck. It's a pain in the butt. (Pun intended). I was 2 weeks from surgery and decided to try diet control and it's been very successful. Best of luck to you.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up