Relapse

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on 30 mg for the last 4 months and been doing a lot better. Last week I had a manic week including an interview where I got the job but after feeling happy my anxiety came flooding back. Not sure if nerves of new job or that I am warn out and got a fever but just keep sleeping lots and feeling low. Any tips?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Becky, 

Glad to hear that you've primarily been doing better, that is progress! I was on 40mg Citalopram for many years, and even though I was mostly stable during that time, there would be occasional times were my anxiety would spike, especially with any sort of added life stress, but I would just stay confident that my meds were still working even though once and a while the effectiveness would waver. I think that this is just a natural occurance, even when properly medicated.

I have been personally recovering from a significant relapse since trying to go off of my meds, so I know how you feel. It's the worst when you can be feeling good for even a day, and then drop back down again.

All we can do is push through and stay confident that our meds are doing what they should and accept that once and a while we'll have some rough days. Also, I would say that even after 4 months, your body is still adjusting somewhat to the medication.

Ps I highly recommend a book called DARE: The New Way to End Anxiety and Stop Panic Attacks. It really helps to view your anxiety in a different way and to confront it with a strong-willed acceptance, rather than fearing it. Even along with my medication, I have been reading that and it has helped a lot.

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you so much for your email. It is good to know that how I am feeling is normal. Had a full on week so you're probably right and the dr also said I had a virus so double whammy.

I will get that book.

Glad to hear you're coming off them. How long have you been on them for?

• Posted

Yes, hang in there. I also had a similar situation, getting food poisoning about a week ago and really threw off my recovery.

I actually decided to go back up on my meds once I got down to 10mg and started feeling really badly again, so I am just trying to get stable on 40mg again. I've been back at 40mg for just over a month now. My anxiety has subsided greatly, but am having sleep issues, which takes a huge toll on recovery. I was stable and well on them for close to 10 years. If I stabilize on them again, then perhaps I will try again in the future to go off of them again (maybe), but I still taper off much more slowly than I did this time.

Just holding out and hoping to feel like myself again soon.

Definitely check out that book! I have been very happy with it.

• Posted

Thank you and I hope you feel better soon . Did you get to a stage where you weren't aware of anxiety before? I did then came off meds and had breakdown. Have decided not to take a new job as thought of more pressure was making me worse. Will get the book. The anxiety solution by Chloe Brotheridge is great too .

• Posted

Hi Becky. I was on 20 mg of cilexa for 4 months and my anxiety started coming back as well. My psychiatrist told me that's normal since 30-40mg is what you need to be on for a true therapeutic effect. He upped me to 40mg which worked wonderfully, but a month later I started to have panic attacks again. So my family doctor prescribed me 1mg of Abilify (an enhancement medication) to help the citalopram work better without increasing my dose at all. Ask your family doctor or psychiatrist about Abilify as well, it made a massive difference !!!!

• Posted

That sounds great. Which dose are you on now? I take NAC a natural supplement too which apparently works well. How long did it take the Abilify to work? In what way did it make you feel better?
    • Posted

I'm on 40mg cilexa and 1mg Abilify. It took a few weeks but it's made a world of a difference, just have to be patient like on any psych medication. It just completely removed anxiety from the picture and no more panic attacks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.