Remeron

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband is on 1- 30 mg of REMERON at night. He is also on EFFEXER and SEROQUEL. He was in a psychiatric hospital for a month a few months ago. The psychiatrist took him off of the meds he had been on and put him on this . He was having tremors when he went in for which they prescribed Inderal. He has become irritable, aggressive, mean, and nearly intolerable! I think it's the Remeron but not certain. Has anyone else had experiences like this? He is 69 years old.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

pretty sure its the remeron dose, not remeron itself. i take 15mg of remeron, with 267mg of effexor. tried 22.5mg of remeron, got extremely irritable and feisty after 5 days, so dropped back down to 15mg. remeron at 22.5mg and below, has a very different effect to 22.5mg and above. i dont think drs and pyscs appreciate the small difference in remoron doseage have on patients. to me, its a wonder drug at 15mg, but a beast on anything higher, especially if taken with another anti depressant. drop his dose to 15mg, quite certain improvements will be quick and astonishing.

• Posted

hi Nigel,

I tend to agree with you with regard to dosage of mirtazapine (Remeron).

My partner has recently changed from Paroxetine to Remeron. He was OK at 15mg but when it was increased to 30mg for a reason that I do not know he was very unwell, was having hot sweats and was very confused and aggressive. He was literally on fire!!!

I have recently put my concerns in a post on Mirtazapine as he is having terrible nightmares now on 15mg.

Yes I do not think doctors or Psychs have any idea of how this drug works, it even says so on the information sheet.

He may end up going onto something else. I have great concerns that it is a case of pot luck when it comes to prescribing these drugs.???

• Posted

it would be good if he can stay on 15mg, try to tough it out, and get to an okay state. would take about 3 to 4 weeks to come down from the high. then once over the worst, add a small amount of paxil. 22.5mg and above of mirt, has too much noradrenaline effect, which turns people manic. adding paxil to 15mg of mirt, would up the seratonin effect, without increasing noradrenaline. anti depressants rarely stop working, they no longer work as such, as what they do isnt sufficient any more. paxil plus 15mg of mirt, would probably work well together. mirt at 15mg is a great combo with any existing ssri or snri, as it augments the old anti depressant, which was previously doing the job on its own. i havent come across an anti depressant where the doseage has such a dramatic effect as mirt.

• Posted

Hi nigel,

My partner has come off paxil after 18 years very rapidly I would add because of undesirable side effects as far as sexual function is concerned.

He did well until he was taking 30mg Mirt and 5mg Paxil to taper off the latter.He was as you have described manic with terrible hot flashes.

it was only when the doc upped the dose to 30mg mirt that the trouble started.

He does not want to return to Paxil now but the task ahead is finding an alternative that suits him.

He is slightly more settled now apart from the nightmares which I hope will settle down too.

It's all a matter of getting the recipe right I guess.

• Posted

theres definitely a common theme here with mirt. from a success rate point of view, venlefaxine and mirt is the best combo. i believe its more successfull than any other anti depressant.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.