Removal of both ovaries and Fallopian tubes due to cysts 8wks ago still in pain and feeling unwell

Posted , 8 users are following.

When will it be over? I am so depressed and my care has been poor to non-existent from the start. Don't recommend I see the consultant again as he doesn't seem to care. What can I do I'm in despair

1 like, 65 replies

65 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling low.  As your hormones will have been disrupted, did anyone explain that this would be a normal phase whilst your body adjusts?  Has anyone offered you HRT?  I only had one ovary and fallopian tube removed, and was already on HRT, but felt low for a few weeks.  However, the cloud lifted after a few months and I can see things differently.

If you can't speak with your consultant, how about talking to your GP?

• Posted

Oh Taz.  You poor thing!  I'm so sorry you feel so unwell.  Could you go to your doctor and see what he/she thinks?  I think JanieMac has made a very good point about hormones.  This could well be the problem.

Bless you.  Take care.

Bib big hugs

xxxxxxxx Kathy

• Posted

I totally understand how you feel. I had both ovaries, cyst and omentum removed in june (vertical cut from belly button down).I have not felt right since. I get pains all around and under my ribs and feel like I have been kicked and bruised. I get back pain and still light headed some times. At my sign off with consultant he said pains too high to be connected with op yet had none of this prior to the cyst. He suggested osteopath which I have been seeing, and although this has helped with my back the rest is still the same. I paid to have abdominal scan which was clear, that was two months ago so I'm having again as I'm paranoid something is wrong . My doctor has put me on medication as thinks it could be some reflux, taken two weeks so far and no difference, have to take them for another two weeks. Totally fed up of feeling achy, bruised and discomfort. All we can do is keep going back to the doc till they find out what is causing it. I have read that surgery can trigger conditions such as fibromyalgia , which I have loads of symptoms for.  I really hope you start to feel better soon.
    • Posted

At least you had a sign off my gynaecologist doesn't follow up. He is whip it out, done, next.
  • Posted

That s shocking they should do post op check, I did wait ages for mine it at least I got one. 

• Posted

He does it daycare. I was in for a week as the anaesthetic caused problems with the epilepsy I suffer. I was left in uncontrolled pain, neither him nor any of his team saw me. Left me traumatised, feeling unlistened to,  uncared for and very let down. Whole thing has been a farce, from first appt. to now and the more I learn the more I realise how let down I was.
    • Posted

First appt was with his SHO who said you have an x sized cyst on your left ovary and an x sized cyst on your right ovary, what do you want us to do? Of course I said I wanted them removed, she said hold on, left the room only long enough to get a yes from the consultant, came back and head down writing notes at which point I said heard could recur so would ovaries be removed? Same response as before except this time she filled out the consent form, shoved it at me to sign, gave me a date and sent me to admissions. It has carried on in the same vein.
    • Posted

Poor you Taz.  I can't believe you are still feeling like this.  You have been so strong, positive and helpful to me and lots of others on this site,  and all the time you've been feeling so unwell and down.

I do so want to thank you for all the support you've given me and really hope you get the help you need to feel better very soon.

xxxxxxx Big, big hugs

Kathy

• Posted

Thanks Kath, have had to learn a lot and pleased to pass it on. If others can be helped by the knowledge I have gained, even though some came too late for me to benefit from it, then some good has come from it all.

Big hugs

Taz xxx

• Posted

Sending you lots of positive thoughts.

xxxxxxx Kathy

• Posted

Crikey - that is appalling. Where do you live?  If you're in the UK, there is a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) in many areas who you can contact to get your voice heard. This is the link - enter your location and it will give you the contact details:

http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Patient%20advice%20and%20liaison%20services%20%28PALS%29/LocationSearch/363

Good luck!

• Posted

This is advice I would give other people as PALS are very good, however in my case though they have been involved from virtually the start and have tried their best the hospital ignores them
    • Posted

Most specifically this particular consultant,this ward and his team.
  • Posted

Hi Taz, so sorry to hear about your ordeal so far. Can I ask how old you are ? I think the lack of information given to you was certainly below par.  Please don't judge all medical professionals as inadequate ,they are not all like this. I am in agreement about it possibly being hormonal but also , when we have a surgery this big,it takes a fair bit of time for the body to adjust and settle after an op this big.You have had the ovaries removed, the body will be trying to repair itself inside knitting tissue back together..please be patient about your healing time..it takes us all different times to adjust so there are no hard and fast rules as to feeling yourself again. As for the medication given to you ? Was it for reflux ? Quite often if we are given a lot of tablets for pain management but we also need tablets to protect the stomach from them.. I take omeprazole to protect my stomach and prevent me suffering from reflux. I have suffered with cysts most of my life. Three major surgeries and four minor (laprascope surgeries) I suffer with fibromyalgia, which is easily diagnosed thru the pressure points. IBS, adhesions and I need surgery to remove a fully blocked tube (hydrosalpinx) with a complex cyst. I only have my left tube and ovary left. But this surgery will mean they have to remove part of the bowel leaving me with a permanent colostomy bag. No surgeon wants to do this and I was advised they would only do this when I am admitted into the A & E as an emergency, I imagine when the tube ruptures or something. I am happy with this as I already have been thru a lot and I trust my consultants, I will not settle until I have all the facts when it concerns my health and well being.. Please don't you settle for this lack of care. Remember they are there to ease your pain and to advise. Please talk to someone about your feelings. Even if it is a practice nurse at your surgery. Don't sit and stress as this will be detrimental to your recovery. If I can help in anyway I hope I have reassured you a little.Kind regards Sally 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.