Removal of Pin in Hammer Toe

Posted , 22 users are following.

hi all.... sorry to ask so many questions but can i ask i have one pin in for hammer toe... it is due to be taken out on the 29th June, the doctor said it would be loose by then and just slip out... but somehow i am not feeling confident... is having a pin out ok xx thank you

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi gilly don't worry about the pin being taken out. It really does not hurt. It will be out before you are aware the doctor is even doing anything. I know from my own experience recently how scary all this can seem at first. Actually this site has saved my life because of all the really helpful and caring people on it who all support each other. This site truly performs a function as it seems neither privately or on the NHS is there any real support for all us foot surgery people. And it is quite a big thing having bunion and hammer toe surgery! I mean I had never had any kind of surgery before but being opened up and messed around with is a massive thing whether it be foot or elsewhere. Actually foot is more of an ordeal perhaps because of the time it takes to heal and swelling etc. Anyway do not worry gilly it is not a problem having the pin out. Keep being strong and do not worry about asking questions on this site. I drove everyone mad with my relentless daily questions (and I mean daily!). But everyone was really helpful and that is what this site is for. For people to give and receive support from others who have gone through similar experiences. Ask as many questions as you like!!! Wishing you a speedy recovery. John
    • Posted

hi john ohoooo thank you so much, so helpful and it has made me yet again feel so better, i do agree with you the support is not good for foot surgery, i did call the hospital ward where i had it done just to ask in the early days if the pain that was very severe normal.... did not want to know just said contact your GP or go and see the GP... knowing that i had the two feet done... !!! and could not walk, so this site is great and i am so grateful that there are caring people out there, i wish you well john and thank you x
  • Posted

Hi Gilly.  Having the pin taken out is no problem, but like yiu I was very anxious because I'd watched a YouTube video of someone removing it.  The podiatrist removed the pin really slowly and the person was in pain.  For me the nurse put cold spray on my toe to give it a little local anaesthetic, and before I knew what was happening it was out!  I can remember saying is that all!  Didn't have any pain after either.

however I do have an issue with the cut area as it's not grown back together properly, there is a sort of dimple across the toe scar and it is uncomfortable still, 11 weeks after the op.  I'm going back in August to have it checked.

yiull be fine on the 29th, hope yiu bunion is coming on too.

• Posted

hello barbara, thank you so much for your reply, its such a help to speak to good people who know what you are going through, i did call the ward of the hospital a couple of days after surgery just to ask if the severe pain i was having was normal but they did not want to know just said go and see your GP... but having two feet done i could not walk, this site has been so good and i so appreciate all my replies.. i hope your toe heals soon, i guess with feet it does seem to take longer because they are a very active part of us... even if just going to the loo during recovery... thank you barbara once again much appreciated x
  • Posted

Hi Gilly.  It's nothing to worry about, honestly.  I felt a kind of tightish, uncomfortable feeling for about 2 seconds as it was being taken out, but no pain at all.  They put a small plaster on the end of toe afterwards and this stayed on for a day or two.  Judy
    • Posted

hi judy, thank you so much for your reply, everyone on here has been so helpful, its so nice to know your not alone and i have taken note of all i have been told, i am so glad i had the two done together because i certainly would had not had the other one done.... no way !!! i wish you well and thanks once again for taking time out to reply x
  • Posted

Hi im sorry to say it might hurt a bit when they pull them out I have the a screw in my right foot but that will stay in rest of my life but had the kind of pins that they pull out 18 years ago in my left foot my bunions has came back and im set to have surgery this friday exactly 2 weeks from my last surgery on my right foot my left foot will have screw sit stay and place also i also had the kind of pins that get pulled on when i broke my left hand and all my fingers rotated on top of each other hurt like heck when they pull the pinout
    • Posted

Hi Rebecca, thank you so much for your reply its so much appreciated, i have read several experiences and all are different, but its just the unknown i guess.... i was anxious because having the stitches out was so painful the thought of the pin makes me feel sick... but hopefully the worse over when its out... i wish you well and thank you once again for taking time out to reply x
  • Posted

HI gilly, I will be having my pin removed on 23 June. Apparently, it is a simple procedure of the Dr getting "a pair of pliers and pulling it straight out". Because I am averse to pain (read: wimp), I will take 1 oxycodone prior to the procedure. But will post my experience. I know evereyone is different,but just knowing about other's experience somtimes help to alleviate anxiety.
    • Posted

hi ajandtia, ohoooo yes please let me know how you get on on the 23rd... its almost making me feel sick at the thought of it being done... i will be taking painkillers prior to having my done for sure.... i wish you a pain free removal and let us know how you got on x
    • Posted

Hi! I've just joined this site in an effort to find some comfort that I might be ok at the other end of all this! I had bunion surgery (screw and staple) and 4 toes 'fixed' (screws in and tendon lengthening) 2 months ago. My foot has been put through a lot. I think I might be on here a lot!!

Anyway, my point was that I had a wire in one toe. I was SO nervous of having it out. Took husband for hand holding etc! The nurses had been telling me about a 10 year old who had breezed through it just before me. In short, it's completely fine. Compared to what you've faced already, the wire removal is easy! Lots of good wishes x

• Posted

hi fiona.... oho0ooo thank you so much for your reply... that has so put my mind at rest, mine is due out on the 30th and the thought of it has been making me feel sick, i have taken on board what you have said and keep itit in mind on the day of my removal, wishing you well fiona x thank you
    • Posted

hi ajandtia... hope all went ok for you today with the pin removal... and its not the start of the good recovery, i was thinking of you today and hope your ok x
    • Posted

HI gilly, thanks for your kind thoughts. Had the pin removed yesterday morning (and I've survived). i took 1 oxycodone (half the usual dose) as opioid painkiller make me nauseas. 

Unfortunately FOR ME the pin removal was painful. The Dr had to have several attempts at pulling it out (ie didn't come out smoothly in one go). (Tissue adhesion is one of the factors that determine whether the procedure would be painful or not) and the Dr remarked at the end of mine that " Well, at least we know your bones underneath are forming a solid union". 

The removal did cause some trauma to the surrounding tissue and my foot felt like I was back in the week 3 post op recovery stage. So, i rested and elevated it as well as took ibuprofen to help with the inflammation.

I would say to you, not to fret about it because it might all be for nothing (as you would have read from some other's experience) or it could be painful (like mine and some other's experience). But take painkillers and go in prepared because until the Dr actually attempt to remove the pin, no one knows how it is going to be.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.  As written above mine was ok, but the hammer toe surgery feels like it is taking longer than the bunion op to recover.  Mine is still a bit sore at 12 weeks and I have a dimple like scar across my toe!  Good luck with your recovery.
    • Posted

hi ajandtia.... ohoooo sorry to hear you had probs... to be honest i dont think any of this is painfree.... i will certainly take your adivce and be well dosed up with pain killers, i am dreading it to be honest, my partner will be working away so i will have to go on my own, thank you for sharing your experience ajandtia x wishing you well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.