Repair of failed anti reflux procedure?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and will endeavour to keep things as brief as possible.

Around 20 years ago I underwent surgery for a hiatus hernia and acid reflux,  I was in a lot of discomfort and only in my late twenties at the time.  Overall the surgery worked reasonably well, even if the recovery took an age (almost 5 months to get right).  

About three weeks ago I developed violent heartburn and back pain whilst laid in bed, I have slept with my bed raised 4" for years but this made no difference.  I have taken a maintainence does of 10 mg Omeprazole for years and when I have any difficulties (although I've never experienced any like this) I up it to 20mg.  Having tried this for a few days and putting up with intense burning between my shoulder blades and chest I increased my dose to 2 x 20mg, one in the morning and one in the evening.  Still no better I booked in to see my GP, he has upped my dose to 80mg, included Gaviscon and thinks my original repair may have failed.

Due to the dosages I'm on at the moment I feel absolutely terrible. I'm drowsy, have diarrhoea and still have all the pain.

My question is has anyone had a repair repaired, is it possible and what was the success rate?  I am quite honestly not prepared to spend the rest of my life feeling like this!

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Did you have the Linx procedure done? The magnets around the esophagus at the base by stomach???
    • Posted

No.  LINX is a very new procedure, mine was twenty years ago.  I've researched LINX (although it's no good for me) and it appears to be a very good, relatively non-invasive procedure.  The main issue appears to be if you have any allergies to nickel or any other metals in the unit!

• Posted

Hi John,

I was also on Omeprazole for years and it stopped working GP changed me to Lansoprazole with a much better outcome,30mg daily unless in fkare up then 30mg twice daily. I think that sometimes taking the same drug for too long it loses its effectivness.

hope you find a solution soon.

L.

• Posted

Hi L,

Did you have a similar situation to the one I have described, not being able to lie down at night etc?

• Posted

Also, have you ever had a flare up last longer than three weeks?

• Posted

Hi John,

Yes all the things you mentioned my last flare up started end of FEB and went on for nearly 3 months it affected my whole digestive system from my throat right through to the other end with stomach cramps pain in the chest through to back and up into right shoulder heartburn etc. it was the worst flare up I have ever  experienced, and I have had it for many years. no idea what brought it on, or what made it settle down (if only) then you would know not to have it  again. I know my triggers and I hadn't had any of them the nurse practitioner at my surgery explained to me about the vegas nerve that controls the gut, heart and lungs and if it is not working properly can cause all sorts of problems with the digestive system that is why many of us get breathless when we are in a flare up, and it can also cause problems with the sinuses. I know that non of that helps you at the moment, I hope your visit to your GP gets you some positive results

L.

PS

Another sufferer on this forum suggested that raw white cabbage and pomegranite juice can ease the symptoms you wash and chop the cabbage and put it in the fridge and just nibble on it throughout the day.

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Thanks that was really helpful.

During my next visit I'm going to ask my GP to try an alternative PPI and just keep my fingers crossed that it performs some miracle cure. It's just so depressing with the continuing period of no improvement. I'm self employed and haven't been able to work, unless something changes soon bankruptcy will be on the cards. More stress!

Anyway, thanks again it's good to discuss it.

John

• Posted

Hello again,

I think you will find if you ask, that GP's are now are to refer patients for a gastroscopy without the need to see the GI consultant first,might be different in some areas but I know they do it here. no harm in asking.

L.

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Went back to GP yesterday and have an appointment with a Gastroenterologist next Thursday, thank goodness. He has also taken me off Omeprazole and put me on Lansoprazole. How long did it take for the new drug to kick in with you Linda?

• Posted

That's good news John at least things are moving, its been a while since I started Lansoprazole so I can't remember exactly how long but I do know they made a marked difference.

L x

• Posted

Thanks for that Linda. Just hope it's days rather than weeks!

• Posted

Hello Linda,

Thanks for remembering, literally just gone back.

The consultant was a very nice person and thinks it may well be the repair that has failed. He's booking me in for a gastroscope and ph test within the next few weeks, then I have to re-book another consultation with him.

Unfortunately (he says) the success rate of repairing a repair is very poor. The thought of having to live the rest of my life feeling like this hasn't exactly filled me with joy! He mentioned there "were a few little things they could fiddle with, but nothing as effective as an original repair!" Just hoping there is something/anything they can do.

• Posted

Hello John,

I am sure he will do something and all will be fine, he is probably just saying that just in case, at least now the ball is rolling I am sure it can't come soon enough for you.

Good luck L x

• Posted

Hello Linda,

Yes you're right, the ball is rolling.  He did seem very sincere when he talked abour repairs, having said that I'm sure you can't leave someone in this state!  I'm 52, very fit and active (or at least was) and have suddenly deteriorated into this wreck!

Anyway I'll keep you posted of developments and thanks again.

All the best.

John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.