Repair of failed anti reflux procedure?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and will endeavour to keep things as brief as possible.

Around 20 years ago I underwent surgery for a hiatus hernia and acid reflux,  I was in a lot of discomfort and only in my late twenties at the time.  Overall the surgery worked reasonably well, even if the recovery took an age (almost 5 months to get right).  

About three weeks ago I developed violent heartburn and back pain whilst laid in bed, I have slept with my bed raised 4" for years but this made no difference.  I have taken a maintainence does of 10 mg Omeprazole for years and when I have any difficulties (although I've never experienced any like this) I up it to 20mg.  Having tried this for a few days and putting up with intense burning between my shoulder blades and chest I increased my dose to 2 x 20mg, one in the morning and one in the evening.  Still no better I booked in to see my GP, he has upped my dose to 80mg, included Gaviscon and thinks my original repair may have failed.

Due to the dosages I'm on at the moment I feel absolutely terrible. I'm drowsy, have diarrhoea and still have all the pain.

My question is has anyone had a repair repaired, is it possible and what was the success rate?  I am quite honestly not prepared to spend the rest of my life feeling like this!

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi John,

I have not had a second repair done - but I have had a friend who did. It can be done again - and it can work again. Sometimes you are lucky - the repair is done - and that is it - sometimes the wrap loosens or you get another hernia - which means another proceedure to repair it. You will have to ask your GP for a referal. I didn't do well on the medications when I was on them - so I comnpletely understand how you feel - after 20 years I don't think you are being unreasonable asking for help again. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.

Any idea of what symptoms your friend was getting to indicate a repeat HH?

Also, have you ever personally suffered a flare up which has lasted as long as three weeks?

• Posted

Hi John,

As far as I know my friend had all the issues back after previously being symptom free. I should add when you had ypur surgery done theres a good chance you had a 360 degree repair - which can actually be too tight!!! Personally I have had no problems at all post-op. I have had 2 years of no anti-acid meds. I could not tolerate lansoprazole or pantoprazole - was on high doses of ranitidine topped off with gaviscon advance! I had a 270 degree fundoplication and hiatus hernia repair done. I believe if a wrap is too tight it can cause symptoms such as you suffer yourself as well as the problems I mentioned before. You need to get it checked out.

• Posted

I agree, has I'm back to see my GP on Tuesday and he's agreed to refer me to a GI if there's no improvement. Trouble is there's a 6 week waiting list, then at least a further 2 weeks for a scope. The way I'm feeling I don't honestly know if I can cope that long.

Did you have your surgery in the UK and if so who with please, how was your recovery ?

• Posted

Hi John,

It is awful waiting for all the appointments - and from start to finish I think it was about 8 months before I had surgery - the endoscopy was done first - then I saw gastro doc, had PH test done - saw surgeon and finally surgery. On the plus side gastro doc changed my meds - which made things a lot more bareable. I did cut out a lot of reflux triggers too - and as long as I knew something was being done - I got through it.

• Posted

should have added after op - I was off work for 3 weeks - was eating and drinking normally by 8 weeks. 
    • Posted

Thanks for that, very reassuring, just speaking to someone else who has had to endure this horrible situation.

I've just actually been out with my wife today and told her I'm feeling a little better, let's hope that's not the kiss of death!

I hope you stay well.

• Posted

Just a quick update.

Had an endoscopy a couple of weeks ago and been today for an esophagal function and ph test. Sat here with a wire up my nose counting down the hours until I have it removed tomorrow. 

Does anyone know if there is any way of tightening a wrap other than doing the entire op again? I suspect my previous repair has come loose and is causing my recent symptoms. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.