Repeat surgery on the cards :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

So, the saga continues - here I am back again sad

As a back story, my symptoms post menapause were mainly  about downward pressure on the rectum/perineum and as a minor, some bladder urgency. I was diagnosed (finally - it was a long story) with a mod-severe rectocele and mild-mod cystocele. I went in for surgery for the rectocele with possibly the cystocele repair if it was deemed necessary. A different surgeon did it on the day and he judged that the cystocele was more severe than had been thought so that is what he did - not the rectocele. I then saw my original (urogynaecologist) again and he confirmed that the cystocele repair was healing well and that he  would schedule me for the rectocele surgery when I was fully recovered, because  that was what I was reporting symptoms for, though examination did not appear to reflect the severity of what I was feeling.

Had that second  surgery last year (May)  ,for what they discovered on the operating table to be severe enterocele( something I had suggested but was dismissed), severe rectocele and perineal insufficiency.I was told it was a lot of stitchery.

I was very careful in recovery, both times, all went well apart from two bouts of  thrush. Did my  pelvic floor exercises - my life has been ruled by my app reminding me ! A few months ago I returned to very careful exercise - no lifting, no straining, sitting on on a big Swiss ball etc, having taken advice from both a gynae physio in person and from reading and researching. 

Unfortunatley at the end of a session, I felt a sharp zig zig pain in my pelvic area and from then all started to feel wrong - the perineum feels looser and the pressure felt back on my rectum. I was in denial about it because the thought of going back to the doctor and/ or the surgeon just filled me with dread after two years of surgery and recovery. Then I recently started experiencing difficulties with urination - the flow is restricted adn I  have to lean right forward or semi stand and lean to empty properly. This was not something I have ever had before.  I went to the GP - she wasn't able to do a full examination ( she says is very tightly sewn) but was able to see a definate cyctocele bulge sad

So, it appears that , at the very least the first operation has failed - or a new one has appeared. She has referred me back to the surgeon so we shall see what transpires. Anyone had experience of repeated surgery within this sort of timescale ?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had surgery a year ago for rectocele and cysticele,I've not been right since,Got referred to colorectal surgeon just had a proctogram which showed small rectocele and entricele 😐in the meantime my bladder has started to not empty properly so last mtg got referred to urologist now waiting for a camera into the bladder as he thinks I could have a pocket in my bladder, so I know how you feel 😏I honestly thought that after surgery I would be like a new woman xx

• Posted

It's such a flat feeling to go through all that to no avail, isn't it ? sad  What does he mean by ' a pocket' in the bladder ? 

• Posted

He said that when the bowel rests on the bladder for a long time it can create a pouch/pocket it's got a name (which I can't remember) my bladders going into retention too apparently unfortunately he told me sometime this can happen after prolapse surgery,the colorectal surgeon has just told me to keep my Pooh soft😁and no straining so on an array of laxatives

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.