Restarted citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive restarted taking 20mg of citalopram and all I want to do is sleep but I can't, and I feel so sick I'm struggling to eat, it's only day 2 and I just want to curl up and cry, please give me some reassurance, I don't remember having these effects the first time I was on it

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I am so sorry you are having these side effects.  they sound fairly normal.  I have been on and off CIT 5 times in the last 6 years and every time I get these side effects.  Sadly it may take a while longer for you to feel the full benefits but they will come. Research the side effects on google and you will see that what you are experiencing is normal for most people just starting again on this drug. Batten down the hatches and hang tight. Make sure you keep talking through it all.  You will be ok. Promise. Mark
    • Posted

Is nine to ten months long enough to stay on an ssri...?to get off and on for five years in row? Just curious
    • Posted

Good question. Maybe that's my problem smile  maybe I should stay on them longer. Hey thanks, yo may have just helped me. I really hope the next few weeks improve for you.  Get a book called 'Recovery Letters'  It is awesome and really helps.

• Posted

Stand up ..I been on celexa ten milligrams for 17months ..and I don't intend to ...like the saying says ..if ain't broke don't fix it... thank goodness for celexa..and all the few folks on here who have made me see that famous tunnel...

• Posted

Always life events. I tend to stay on CIT for around 9-10 months each time. Sadly my trigger is job change and I was made redundant twice this year ARGGGG. It is a good medication once you get past the first few weeks.
  • Posted

Hey there!

I definitely feel your pain. I'm back on 10mg after a year of being off of them myself. I never had any side effects when I first took them, but this time around? Oh boy, I'm miserable. Exhausted but can't sleep, hardly eating etc. I even have a cold on top of it all. Nighttime is the absolute worst for me. But everyone keeps saying it gets better so I'm holding on the best I can. I hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Thanks everyone, I really am trying to stay with it, I really want to get better, it's just most food s make me feel sick to even think about them, the only things I'm able to keep down is bread and potato, I know it's better than nothing but still, it's really getting me down and adding to my problems

• Posted

I'm having similar experience

No appetite

My problem is my anxiety is getting worse than before I started

Had the same side effects 6 years ago when was on the medication first time.

With citalopram it's a case of things getting worse before they get better unfortunately

The patient information leaflet states that .

Good luck

Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Sorry

Maybe I should say

In SOME cases things get worse before they get better on citalopram.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.