Restricted breathing weird sensation

Edited , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, im a regular poster to the group but im just at a loss and have ran out of hope. I do suffer with anxiety and panic attacks since childhood and for the last year have had bouts of struggling to breathe but for the last month these symptoms have severely worsened and i am now confined to my room. I cant quite describe the sensation I feel when I breathe just that its not normal and a feeling ive never had before and doesnt feel right. This lasts all day every day till i go to sleep. Its a real strain to breathe in and it feels horrible and weird. Almost like being suffocated but worse. My chest is always clear, oxygen levels are 96-100 ECG is normal, peak flow isnt great but not worrying. Doctors say its anxiety but it feels too physical to just be that. Im worried theres an obstruction, narrowing or block and that im going to die any minute. I just need some reassurance im going to be ok. Ive been on anti depressants and they didnt help also other alternative medicines and no luck. This is the only symptom i have. No pain, cough, wheeze or anything just this unfulfilling weird sensation that doesnt go away. please help i cant fibd anyone else with the same symptoms mine seem unique. thank you

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Amber,

I rushed to the ER months ago for this very reason. It felt like I couldn't catch my breath. It felt like I couldn't take a deep breath either so I panicked. It was a constricting feeling as if I was gasping for air constantly. Likewise, oxygen levels were good 9X-100. ECG came back clear along with a chest x-ray. I had milder bouts randomly days or weeks later, but not as severe. I guess the biggest take away was if I focused on it, it became much worse and lingered.

I eat pretty healthy, a lot of blueberries and blackberries daily for years now along with mixed nuts and dried cranberries and sort of steer clear of the dairy products and red meats. So, I sort of have/had this notion that it couldn't have been heart related, which might of helped me not dwell on it.

I've done pretty good these last few months with an occasional bout of what feels like very very very mild symptoms with regard to this. Just keep in mind if it was extremely serious bloodwork, labs and such will likely reveal something.

Anyway, I can empathize with you. Somehow some way try to distract your mind. Good luck.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for your comment. I don't even know what the feeling is I feel just that my breathing its not right. Did you have the same symptoms I described above? I cant seem to find anyone who has suffered the same ones which makes me think its something bad. People do say the more you focus on it the worse it gets I just dont understand how it can make me feel like this and everyones brushing it off as anxiety and what if its not? ☹️ I'm pleased you're feeling much better and found some relief it really is horrible. Thank you!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes, the very symptoms you describe is what I had, which is why I commented. There's some youtube videos of others who have explained as if they can't breathe naturally, as if it's forced due to anxiety. Just keep in mind that typically heart or lung related conditions would cause oxygen discrepancies and would've been glaring when vitals were checked during an ER visit.

When I did go to the ER it felt as if no matter how hard I tried I couldn't take a deep breath and felt as if my chest wouldn't expand, yet my BP was within reason and oxygen levels were perfect, yet it felt like I was starving for air to the point of feeling like I was going to black out.

It's a suffocating sensation, but like you when I wake up in the morning or find myself falling asleep the feeling is gone; breathe just find.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Its just I almost feel like the air isnt going in properly? I can't quite explain it. It feels very strained on inhalation and I'm just worried there might be a narrowing in my airway or something constricting my airflow and I'm going to be dead soon. It's such a strange sensation. Thank you for your advice im just struggling to manage this

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

wow i had to reply to this. how old are you?? im 33 going through this EXACT same thing. its been going on a year and a half for me. i feel like i cant breathe, lightheaded, derealization, a dull pain my head i can feel everey step i take! but no wheezing at all, blood oxygen was at 98%, ekg says im fine im clueless trting to figure it out too! i was on effexor for years i was thinking MAYBE its just my antidepressant completly stop working on me! im not sure of thats it causing all these symptoms for is and its anxiety. so ive been trying a new antidepressant for for 2 weeks now cipralex anddd no luck so far i have to give it another few weeks to see if it helps but im not confident it will. my anxiety attacks are 24/7 too no relief!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm 23! I've been suffering with breathing difficulties for just over a year but it was a few weeks ago when I was having 24/7 panic attacks for a week until taking the Diazepam. Its been hell and my tests came back all ok too. Got an appointment at ENT next week to see if its anything related to that but not sure and I thought it might of been due to me erraticaly stopping and starting my anti depressants too. Its my breathing im most concerned about, im confined to my room as too scared to do anything. I hope you find some relief soon its horrible

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi amber. I'm going through the same problem too and I know exactly how you feel right now. You feel like you might suffocate and die, it's hard to describe when telling others how I exactly feel. Along with other scary symptoms such as derealization, head zaps, brain fog, body shakes, numbness in legs and arms, racing heart, etc. It's scary but it does go away when I relax myself and try to focus more on my breathing while watching mediation video guides on Youtube. I hope you can overcome this and tell yourself that you're fine and it's just your panic attacks, getting through you. It will take time but I promise you that you will feel much better mentally. Take care and best of luck.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi, im sorry you're going through the same thing. I hope you find some relief. I just dont understand how it can be anxiety when this trouble with my breathing it lasts all day and all night? It feels too physical to be that 😦 I get a lot of that too. I'm just scared something is going to happen. It feels so strained when I Inhale and just doesnt feel right? If that makes sense and almost a lack of sensation of breathing. Thank you for your message, I appreciate what you have said. You too

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up