Retinal Tear

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had laser treatment for a retinal tear last Wednesday, ie 3 days ago.  The Doctor said it would be fine , just resume normal activites but no lifting or bending, Im to be reviewed in three weeks.  Im confused as to can I lift and bend after a week, as some suggested on internet, or do I have to wait for three weeks review?  I am not complaining and very thankful it was picked up and treated so promptly.  I had had floaters which I thought were normal and " everyone has them" only to be shocked to discover I also had a retinal tear and Im so glad I eventually went to the optician who immediatley referred me on to eye casualty.  I am worrying as I have lifted my little grandchild , totally forgeting the no lifting and also have bent over to the dishwasher etc again forgetting.  Im terrified to be honest that I have done some damage to my eye .  Can anyone advise ??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

An ophthalmologist will dilate your eyes and look at the retina to check out if there is any more damage to your retina and retinal nerve. 
  • Posted

I would suggest you stop lifting and bending at this point forward and on Monday contact your doctor and ask how long before you are allowed to lift in bend. He might also mention that you'd accidentally did those things and see what he says. He might tell you that you would know right away if you goof something up or he might want to see you to check on it. But either way you don't want to mess with your eyesight.

• Posted

Hi Evelyn63: I would advice you not to do somthing wrong with your eyes so that you will be sorry later for the rest of your life. always remmember that you the only one who's going to take care of your eyes and nobody els. so do not left any thing at all ,do not do any cooking or go near stove or heat, always wear your dark glassess when you are out in the sun. do not do exercise other than waking.do not watch T.V. or do computer all these months until you will go back and see the doctor.Ask for help to do your house work for you. I wish you all the best and good luck. Please let me know how you are progressing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.