Return to the gym and walking.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Im hoping to start back next week. Its 8 weeks since total right knee replacement. Walking with a stick,still get pain and stiffness and still on painkillers. Going to start on stationary bike and walking in pool. But hope in a few weeks to do punchbag{no twisting though} and maybe even try cross trainer,weights though these last 2 are things i havent done before. Any tips/advice from gym goers/knee patients? Also how far have people walked at 8 weeks? How much benefit is it and can it harm the new knee?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was in a no pain no gain frame of mind!

Thought the more I did the quicker I would get back to normal.

Did myself no favours, if anything set myself back. Thanks to all  the comments from the guys here I pulled back in the last few days and its much better.

First thing in the morning is a nightmare still though!

• Posted

I think the problem is most of the physios are fit and relatively fit and not gone through knee surgery themselves. And despite them saying no pain no gain,as my mother used to say nobody can put themselves in anybody elses mind and body.

Cheers Ann.

• Posted

I meant fit and relatively young. Must be on the same drugs.
  • Posted

hi johngreat progress at 8wks ,be carefull in the gym for awhile crosstrainer its pretty hard on the knees ,  and be very very carefull on the weights ,till you are sure your doing well .i would sugest getting an assesment from gym instructer he/she would be able to give you a rehab program that way you wont do harm to yourself , i found the rehab program great it stopped me wondering if i should do this or that ,you probably wont be the only one recovering from some sort of ops they are your best bet to get off to a good start .  as for walking walk as much as is comfortable ,just because the knee has been replaced dose not mean its time to push it and see how far it goes ha! i know where your coming from wondering if you should do more !!! everybodys knee responds differently so id say little and often and go further when you feel the knee is ready trust your body listen to it good luck to you
    • Posted

Thanks ever so much Irishlinda. I think I must exercise caution. Will get a program also as you advise. Plus little and often for walking makes sense.
  • Posted

I am at 8 weeks with second tkr. My doctor said I needed to cut back on the walking to short walk and start using the stationary bicycle until the muscles and tendons heal and no lifting.

Maila

• Posted

Thanks Maila

Sounds good advice. Think I will go on bike steadily and walk in the pool for first couple of weeks at least.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.