Return to work

Posted , 8 users are following.

i start a phased return to work tomorrow at 13 weeks post op. I feel ready to work but still have concerns over long term heavy aspects of work. Without going into much details I work with children aged 0-18. The job involves quite a bit of manual handling. I have met with OH  and they do not see a reason to alter my duties long term. The  reasoning is that the consultant has not stated long term change in duties other than no high impact. I still worry about the impact of heavy manual handling.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. I work in a primary school as TA and children have special needs and some have very complex behavioural difficulties. I was concerned about going back as my head thought id be back after 6 weeks as she had a partial hysterectomy. But she has a desk job. We are very active!! I had been off before Xmas for another issue which triggered me being referred to OH. She was an ex nurse so when I told her about my op she was great saying she's make sure everything was in place and that appropriate supposed was in place. If I'm allowed back after 12 weeks I'll only have 1 1/2 weeks before summer holidays and I'm doing it phased return. But once sept came around I do worry about my limitations and reminding myself not to do certain things. Hope you're managing ok.
    • Posted

Hi thinks

I had a prolaps op 18 months ago. I work in a PRU with year 1O /11 and cover primary when necessary. Have found it difficult to manage and don't do team teach to physical. Sort of decided need a desk job with absolutely no lifting. You may be different but it's a risk to start handling the kids.I did try at first but caused swelling in the lower adomen. I constantly do pelvic floor exersises which have helped. It's difficult to find a job that would suit our limited

Lifting power.

Sorry its not more positive. I do have another friend who had a prolaps op and is a cook and she is fine. So you may be ok you will know as your body lets you know

All the best with your recovery

Kay

• Posted

Hi all. Thank you for your replies. Ive been back three weeks now light duties only on a phased return. The consultant felt that I should be OK as long as I stick to manual handling guidelines. O/H agreed no heavy work for 6 weeks. I still do have concerns but will be extra careful long term risk assess etc and try to change career path long term. At the moment i don't have a choice.
    • Posted

Hi Ptjinks,

Glad to hear you have managed to sort out lighter duties on return to work, am I right that you are about 16 weeks post op (about 1 week ahead of me) ?

I only saw OH once and she insisted I could go back to work at 3/4weeks to normal duties, so I refused to sign her report in agreement.

My employer did ask if I wanted another appointment with OH at my back to work appointment; didn't think there was any point as OH wouldn't even aknowledge that I needed light duties for a while if not longterm.

Feel that I have no support though if employers push me back to normal too quickly as happened on Sunday where I was on my feet for 4 hours and had lower aching back for last hour.

Have not recovered properly this week, seems to have weakend my pelvic floor been finding it really difficult to do pelvic floor exercises this week. Hope I will have recovered by my next shift on Sunday morning.

My line manager has since said to get a chair from the cafe so I can sit if need be while it is quiet. So will do that in future, just hope I've not done any permanent damage meanwhile.

Like you I know that I should be looking for something else; but been trying to get something less heavy for years, in fact since I first realised I had prolapse problems but very little opportunities are available that are more suitable and it often comes down to competing either others who gave more experience in other kinds of employment!

Let's face it what employer in there right mind is going to take on an employee with history of weak pelvic floor and 10 years off retirement?

Any way good luck with continued support and hope you find something more suitable if need be.

Phyl x☺☺☺

• Posted

Hi. I've just had my post op appt today (9wks) and was told no heavy lifting for 6 months. It's really hard of that is part of your job but you also don't want to undo what you've had done. Hope you continue to take it easy and don't have pressure from work. Take care. X
    • Posted

Hi Phyl. Yes I'll be 16 weeks next Tues. It is really difficult.  luckily my team have been really supportive but I know that they can't be expected to do this long term. We must be about the same age. I'm 12 years from retirement. That seems an age at the moment- not that I'm wishing time away. One good thing about being off work was that it gave me time to slow down and reflect on what's important. I'm going to make sure I keep a good balance in my work/home life. Wishing you all the best- make sure you get that chair. I find that when I'm feeling strain it really does help to sit down.
    • Posted

Hi Ptjinks,

You are right about getting a good work/life balance; I was fine up till last autumn then took too many shifts in run up to Xmas was out 5 days out the 7. It was great to get the chance of overtime but was too much for me and eventually the mild prolapse i was left with after last repair progressively got worse. Was on my feet too for quite a few shifts and the heavy packing on previous Xmas weeks was just too much.

Hope all goes well for you, and get plenty rest when you can ,

Phyl x☺☺☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.