returned to work this week..

Posted , 10 users are following.

I returned to work on Monday after about 10 weeks off sick. since I've been back several colleagues have told me what my manager has been saying about me. she told everyone the reason ive been off sick (depression). my last sick note was for two weeks and it said the reason for having time off was because of a drug overdose (I took all my antidepressants and ended up in hospital). she's been saying things like im lying about it and if it was true id have a discharge sheet etc, although I left hospital after speaking to the crisis team I didn't get a sheet. she's also been trying to get me sacked because ive put OLD photos up on Facebook, she went to head office and said there's nothing wrong with me and I'm partying all the time. I'm really really angry about what she's done what can I do??

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Danielle

Not only is it despicable that your boss has behaved in this way I'm not sure how helpful it is that your colleagues told you this. Do you have a human resources department in your office? If so I would take it up with them as soon as possible. Other than that I would speak to your GP to get a 'report' which states exactly why you have had the time off.

I'm so sorry you're going through this, it's terrible how mental health is still treated as an imagined illness.

x

• Posted

ps. there are no grounds for her to sack you. Your GP might be able to contact the hospital to get a discharge sheet if it comes to that.
  • Posted

Firstly Dannielle that is disgraceful behaviour you've been through enough without the added stress of this. Definintely HR, grievance procedure.  See Citizens Advice Bureau if you are in the UK, alternatively I spoke to an employment lawyer and he very kindly gave me an hour's advice for free.  PM me if you need help.  Jackie x
  • Posted

Hi Danielle 

im so sorry to hear what's going on your boss is a real charmer it's a really low thing she has done to you as the others have said go to your hr leader or union but I think she can be done for trying to intimidate you so stay strong and good luck with everything keep thinking positive because you will be the 1 to came out on top of all of this. 

Regards nadine 

• Posted

Get a report, but do not go to your manager, send a statement/letter to the head office with everything explaned in detail, explain that they are old pictures, that you have been in hospital ( so get a note from your doctor ) and explain how shes been tellingn all the colleagues about this. xx
  • Posted

Hi this is outright bullying and you haven't got to put up with it.  You have to nip this in the bud right now otherwise she will carry on and I speak from experience.

The best way if you can is to have a private official chat with this Manager and tell her calmly that you have heard various rumours of what she has been saying about you and ask her for her comments.   Don't be judgemental and accuse her of anything.   This will achieve 3 things - 1st she will be put on the spot,  2nd - she will stop spreading tales about you and 3rd - standing up to a bully is the sure way to stop this.   This is very hard to do though and you have to approach it in the right manner or you could make things worse.   Whatever you do do NOT lose your temper and just stick to the facts.

If you can't do this (and I don't blame you as it is very hard do to) then you need to speak to her manager.   What will probably happen then is either they will say they will deal with it or they will arrange a meeting for the 3 of you to discuss the issue.

Whatever you decide make notes of what you have heard,  who has told you and the dates.  It is also very important to note how it makes you feel ie upset etc.  

Bullying is not allowed in the workplace by law but it does go on and again I speak from experience.   If you have a union or HR then talk to them.   Good luck and let us know what happens.  x

• Posted

Danielle if your boss has said anything about your medical condition to anyone, then she is the one in trouble. Never mind her wanting to have you sacked, the mere fact she has discussed this with anyone is enough grounds for you to sue the company for unfair dismissal due to harassment, discrimination due to mental health issues (ie you can see a broken leg, arm etc) and breach of confidentiality. You need to go to the top person ie CEO or MD at head office level and report this person. If it were me, I would not say anything or discuss the matter with your boss, just go to the top. Legally you could also have a case for slander, (she's said things about you to other colleagues) which are untrue and deformation of character.
    • Posted

could she really be dismissed? and be in trouble for all those things? I knew it was serious but not how serious! I'm so angry about what she has said, and told everyone and I feel so uncomfortable I want to quit xx
    • Posted

Hi I said it is best to tackle the manager head on in a calm manner if possible and I stick by this.   Of course if this can't be done then go over her head.  

The trouble with going over her head is that it makes it official and can start a chain reaction and unless you are careful or you work for a good company who handles it sensitively she could be believed not you.   

I had this situation in a job (I was a civil servant) and the bully was believed over me so I had no choice but to put in a official grievance which was turned down so I felt even worse.   Then the employer insisted on monitoring me coz they felt I needed more help and while the bully left me alone for a few months the situation quickly got out of hand again.   I was then transferred to a new team with a rider to my new line manager - could be a problem and needs more help.   It became a monster in the end.

I had to ask myself who is more important to the employer - me or the line manager?   It was her of course!  

Incidentally after I went off sick with depression/stress after the bullying she bullied someone else who also went of sick and they then believed it and transferred her away from direct contact with staff.   

Believe me it is much better to deal with it informally if you can rather than involve management!   I stick by what I said.  x 

• Posted

Danielle if your last sick note said overdose, or indeed anything which has kept you off work, it has been written and signed by your GP or hospital Dr. There is legally no need whatsoever for you to provide any other evidence like a discharge sheet. By questioning your sick note, she's basically accused a doctor of lying
    • Posted

Jimmy that's an excellent idea. Get correct legal advice before doing anything. When you've collated this advice, along with anything else to support your case, then contact CEO

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.