Returning to work?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'll be 5 weeks post op tomor following partial knee replacement and was originally planning to return to my customer advisory role in the bank a week tomor? After spending the first day out yesterday mooching round the shops for about 3 hrs some of this travelling and sat in car I feel shattered! My sciatica has this week come back with a vengeance and although I'm getting about without my crutches round the house my knee feels very tight and I'm still not getting much sleep despite taking amitryptaline beforehand!

sick note runs out 12th July but now thinking a visit to my GP to extend it might be wise? Really don't know what to do as I don't want work to think I'm swinging it? Also as most of you guys seem to have had tkr it's difficult to judge where I should be recovery wise!!! 

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you can stay out longer do it. 5 weeks is way too soon in my opinion, even for a partial knee. Good luck!
  • Posted

I had TKR 3 years ago. Trying to think back to what I was like at 5 weeks.

I went back to consultant at 6 weeks and don't think I could have worked at that point. Maybe part time.

Can you go back to work part time for a bit and see how you are coping?

If you are sitting at a desk most of the time yu are going to get stiff. You need to be getting up and moving around for little breaks fairly frequently.

Good luck

Sarah

• Posted

I would reccomend that your manager views this forum to see for themselves  how devastating any type of knee operation can be this they can tell from the myriad of responses and they must realise that you are far from being able to recommence working.  If you go back too early then it can become damaged neccessitating another op. and more time off.
  • Posted

I had a tkr and was told by surgeon I would be off work for at least 12 weeks 
  • Posted

I'm 15 po on Tuesday. I only(!) had new knee cap and metal trochlea (the bit behind it) but I'm still not back at work. I'm signed off until 16 July and unless a miracle happens I won't be joining the working world anytime soon. Knee is very stiff and tight, but is marginally better than last few weeks. My problem has been muscles wastage and I'm working hard to build them up. But, if I do too much I suffer for it the following day - it's a fine line between too much/too little. 

I've also got fibromyalgia so fatigue was a problem before op, and is a bigger problem now. I'm a Secretary in a busy office, but at the moment they'd have to allow me to slump over my keyboard every afternoon because after lunchtime I'm absolutely shattered so I have/need a nap.....and they'd never hear the phones above my snoring lol!

I applaud you for trying but think you're being ambitious going back this soon - listen to your body, this operation takes more out of us than I ever realised. Stay put and rest up! Your doctor may well tell you the same!

• Posted

Thanks for advice guys 😃 meant to add that I only work Monday and Friday 9 to 5 and every other sat 9 to 12! I've not had a date for revisiting my consultant yet either so I will ring in the morning and chase that? I don't know if I can return without him signing me back to work??
  • Posted

Hi Mandy, I did have pkr, and now at nearly nine weeks , surgeon says I'm doing really well, better than he had hoped, as you may remember I'm 54, I still struggle going down stairs, as well as, sitting for any length of time in a dining type chair, I still can't do all my own house work every day, I can drive for 20, mins walk round tesco leaning on a trolley for an hour, scan as I shop, as I could never do the stand still queuing bit, then by the time I drive back home , I'm done in. Plus on that day I wouldn't be able to do much house work as well ,or I would stuff my self up for the next few days, . So back to your question , how much should I be doing, my answer, as much as you can with out stuffing yourself up, I certainly wouldn't want to go sit behind a desk even if it is only a couple of  days, I still need to be able to sit , ice and massage when I need to, not when I am allowed to. Go see your doctor, give yourself a bit more time. Good luck👍😀
    • Posted

Thank you I can remember you saying you'd had same op as me I think we must be the only ones! 
    • Posted

Lol, I think there are a few of us, . I keep trying to extend the amount of walking I do, where I live I'm by the river, and at the moment it's so over grown, and twice I've been up and fallen, it's put me off now, to go anywhere else I'd have to drive, at least 6 miles, then walk then drive back, and I no I would be knackered. What are we spose to do, . We might have only had half a knee , but I still can't believe it takes soooo long to get back to normal, . I'm dreading the other one being done. 😏
    • Posted

I don't drive and to get to work I have to take 2 separate buses there and back then walk from the bus station to the branch it's not that far but still going to knacker me out doing that there and back? I'm so tired all the time but trying like you to do a bit more each day! 
    • Posted

Oh , no way can you go back, have you even tried to get on and off a bus yet, ? They have big steps, it's bad enough with stairs,😱
  • Posted

hi mandy 5 wks is very short time to consider going back i think 12 wks would be more likely  i can imagine its hard to stay out and worry about how it looks but you need to look after you going back too soon could put you back a little so id go to the gp and he probably would agree you need more time try not to stress about it and good luck
    • Posted

Thanks Linda will def make appt to see my gp this week and speak to my manager as well 
  • Posted

Hi Mandy, I have also had a partial knee replacement. It does seem that we are few and far between. I would also suggest you take a bit more time off. I am 6 months post op and still struggle with tiredness and pain. I am 59 and not working, but still suffer with stiffness in my knee. I would definitely go to go and get a longer sick note.Susan x
    • Posted

Thanks Susan I will def ring doctors in the morning and chase up consultant appt x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.