Returning to work, how did you find it?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there, I'm returning to work on Monday, phased return so starting teaching half days initially. I'm mentally very ready for going back but I am concerned about how hard it will be. I've been off work for 3 months and feel great in the morning but by 3pm feel shattered and that's after normal domestic activity and a moderate walk - very different to teaching. Is there anyone who has gone back to work recently? How was it for you? Any tips?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Following this as am also due to go back phased return . Keyhole totally hysto with ovaries removed .
  • Posted

Ho Sally Iam the same bsck work on Monday I do 9 till 2 3 days a week. I've been off work 16 weeks ans still not ready but Iam trying to get back to normal. I've had a bad day today it just come in today i felt very down and just broke down for nothing. My family are worried for me going back to work. I can not sleep at night with my hot flushes. Iam just not right after this op. I thought I would be a new lady by now. So I think you are doing well for 12 weeks I wish you good luck xx
  • Posted

God am only 5 weeks post op looking to go back 6 weeks post op. They say lap surgery is easier recovery than abdominal . But am worried too about going to work . Be interested to hear anyone's advise on this topic xxxx
    • Posted

Well I think your body will tell you if you are. They say upto 12 weeks after one. But not sure about the one you had. But I do think it's far too early abd you need to take it slow it was a big op xx
    • Posted

Hi Sam. Yep mine was a massive 6 hour op to remove rugby ball sized fibroid as well as TAH, blood transfusion too. Recovery has gone well and even my hot flushes have almost disappeared so was hoping my ovaries were starting to work. But, believe it or not the flushes have just come back (not as bad as before). So tired yesterday had to have an afternoon nap and my skin feels all sensitive (got this with previous fatigue). I am wondering if this is all psychological with anxiety about returning to work. 12 weeks seems about right for a TAH. Resting as much as possible today. Only working afternoons this week. Afternoons are tiring for me normally but I'll take the mornings steady.
    • Posted

Hi Sally you dud have a big op. I'm so glad you are on the road to getting there. Good luck on starting back work. I'm at 16 weeks and I'm back tomorrow I do work on my feet but only for 5 hours I work Mon Tues ans wens 9 till 2. I just need to snap out of it and move forward. My lower tummy still hurts abs sore and you can not press it. It's all on the left side. When are you bsck work xx
    • Posted

Hi Sam. Due back tomorrow afternoon. I too still have sore tummy from time to time. I have felt very tired today and have tried to rest as much as I can. I just hope I can manage it. Won't know until I start.
    • Posted

Iam the same Sally I start at 9 but got to be up at 7 sad but like you say we don't no if we don't try. I was still like thst at 12 weeks that's why I ve just gone back. I don't feel to bad but not 100% but I will try my best. Good luck Sally let me no how it's gos ans I will. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Sam. Sorry but forgot to wish you luck with your first day back at work. Good luck. Let me know how it went.
  • Posted

Hi I hope your day goes ok..... I only had my op on the 12th but already feeling a bit stressed about work!!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.