Revision knee replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have just had a revision knee replacement done on my left knee and I know it's early days for me as it isn't 2 weeks post op yet, but I have so much pain in my calve and shin has anyone else had that ? Really could do with some advice.

0 likes, 26 replies

Report / Delete

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What pain relief do you have?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well I have to say I had more pain in my calf , thigh and foot than in my knee . . and until I got tramadol from my doctor I was in a lot of pain . . Have you got decent pain killers?  and do you take them regularly whether the pain is strong or not?  Even so, and if you do, in the first two weeks the pain is pretty bad, and the swelling etc. . .Mine wasn't really the shin . .more in the thigh (ouch!) and the back of the calf . . . Hope it gets better for you soon . . 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

it probably is after the pressure of the op as they have to go in futher than the 1st one  ive been through a revision 10mths ago it is taking longer to get over it i have not had much pain in calf but did in shin for awhile but i had rods in as well as the knee for my revision i had mine 18mths after 1st tkr so the healing has been slow
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's reassuring hearing someone else feeling the same pain. 

How is your recovery going are you walking with sticks still? If not how long did it take to walk on your own. Do you still have any pain ?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

my recovery is going steady most of the time no i have not got crutches thank god  walking on my own ?well after 6wks my surgeon wanted me to leave the crutches but physio said no that i was to use one for awhile more and to be honest i was glad i didnt feel safe or confident felt i would fall over when i was out .in home it was different i was fine with no crutches because ther is always something to hold on to if you need it when your out its scary for awhile .it was probably about 8 or 9 wks when i walked to local shop without them .pain is still there but much much improved at the start i was on 200 zydol its a high dose pain and 90mg arcoxia anti inflamatorys now i still take the arcoxia because its still abit swollen and i take 100mg zydol and im going to reduce that in the next few weeks its higly adictave so ive got to do it slowly  .today i was out playing pitch and putt (shorter game of golf) for 2 hours now im shattered but good to push it .i found my revision had to be done no choice im glad i did but its alot longer to recover than the 1st tkr some days i get really fed up and then days like today im good my husband gets fed up with me because im so up and down but you see he has had his hip done and sailed through it but he still has to have his knee done and it will be only when he has that done he might understand what ive been through ha!!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing your story it really helps to hear from someone that has been through this as it can feel very lonely with others not knowing what it's like. Wishing you a speedy recovery 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

ya i agree its very different from first tkr   we hope that once we have the op that its sorted but its the same op again plus because they have to remove the last one and go in abit further  to put this one in plus all the old scar tissue and muscles one thing i did find that my muscles were dead after it and took a long time to wake up i now go for walks that i couldnt before revision  its worth it in the end ive been where you are now and i didnt think id make it as i found it so scary and was at times at my lowest ebb i didnt know of this forum then wish i had .keep your chin up we are all here to help you through xx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have a coffee drinking friend who has made a point of sticking the needle in a bit but now he's in trouble with a knee. 3 couples are heading out to a ri we boat cruise in Europe next week and he is living on injections trying to get through it then will probably have to go through the tkr. I have been biting my tongue so far but may have to give in a little when he finally has the surgery....nothing mean of course, just friendly reminders.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you it's so good to get another persons experience I have been very tearful these last few days thinking how am I going to get through it. I am 43 years old and praying that my other knee I had replaced just over 2 years ago never needs a revision replacement this is so scary. I am having my staples out tomorrow and hoping it eases a bit of the pain. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

that should help  when i was at your stage it was scary and i kept worring if this dose not work kinda thoughts but be positive he has done a good job keep thinking of christmas and what a different christmas it will be for you because your going to feel alot better with a new year ahead good luck with the staples
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up