Revision knee replacement

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, it's me again I am 4 weeks post op today and have so much pain in my calve I spoke to my nurse today who told me I shouldn't be in pain in my calve still and to go to hospital which I did I have now been given the injections in the tummy again and have to go back Wednesday morning for a scan to rule out DVT I am scared! Does anyone else have pain in the calve at 4 weeks ?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sooo glad for you that  you are clear for DVT but understand your frustration at continuing pain etc. I saw a Consultant last week about revision surgery. I have more pain and disability now 20 months after original TKR than before the op. I saw this surgeon (not the man that did the op) in April for his opinion and he told me to think hard about revision because he couldn't guarantee to make any difference. I told him last week to go ahead and he said ok but will ask me again every time I see him up to actually lying on the table if it's really what I want!
    • Posted

Hi Nicky, thank you I was very relived it was negative. I so know how you are feeling I had my first knee replacement 13 years ago and from the very start I had trouble it wouldn't bend I had to have 2 manipulations and still I had trouble with the movement and the pain. I saw my surgeon for years and kept being told more physio and a few years after they started to give me arthroscopys to clear out the knee nothing seemed to work I spent over 10 years on crutches on and off until one day my right knee started to cause problems so they tried a cartilage transplant and it was a 97% success 3% failure and mine failed so I had more arthroscopys and mean while my left knee still hurt so much. In 2013 they finally agreed to replacing my right knee which has been doing well apart from not liking the pressure it is taking now. I was still seeing doctors for my left knee and one day I saw a doctor who looked at my X-ray and said I can see your spacer has worn out and sent me to the top surgeon who finally agreed I had no quality of life being left like this. When they did this revision knee replacement they said how bad my knee was inside with holes and stuff in my bones. It took 13 years fighting for this and yes at this moment inside I can't see light at the end of the tunnel I am still glad I had it done. So many people on here have helped me with their experiences, I hope I might have helped some people too. Good luck with your revision it is harder than the first time but I think it will be worth it in the end. All the best
    • Posted

hi nicky surgeons really dont want to give guarantee do they i was like you but what choice do you have go for it
  • Posted

Yes, I am 12 wks out and still have calf pain!  I had testing for DVT this past week and all clear.  I now have to wear stockings on my leg, which I hate!  Not sure why i had so many issues with my total knee. Not sure why. Hang in there!!
    • Posted

join the club mema when you have issues they (surgeons) dont want to talk to you when you have questions they just want you to go away , they want you to smile and thank them for a job well done and thats fine if it is a job well done .a few months ago i went to the hospital to see a nurse who checks the new knee xray  and has a chat as to how things are going for you well i told her at the time that it was slow progress and as we chatted we talked about the other knee it was doing great i said   (id had bi lateral that went wrong with a broken leg  so ive had a revision)but ive had a very long and painfull journey and i think it should not have happened she replied "well you have one good one " what a stupid answer i said i should have two good legs thats what i expected the answer to this was "no two are the same so be happy with the one "    pity i said that i need two to walk   she couldnt get me out fast enough

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.