Revision knee replacement

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I'm now 4 months post op from my revision knee replacement and it has been the longest 4 months ever I am still in a lot of pain and taking regular pain killers which work well. I have just had an injection in my knee to treat a bursa and inflamed tendons. I am still on crutches and can use one crutch for a little while around the home. I am praying that my pain is because of the bursa and tendons as my surgeon told me that if the pain didn't go after the injection there was nothing else they could do and I would of been through this revision knee replacement for nothing, not what I wanted to hear, I had the injection 6 days ago but I don't have any pain relief yet . Has this happened to anyone else ???

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am in month 5 and fin x it's going far less satisfactorily than the last 3 times I've been through it. I'm thinking it's just the amt of damage that has been done. A couple of weeks ago my OF told me this was going to take a lot longer because of the type of damage and not to get discouraged. My insurance will only carry me through nov and then I will have to wait til after the 1st of the year to restart the program.I have. Proper ROM but leg is extremely weak. I have found stretching it slowly on the bike a couple of times a day and occassionally in the middle of the night is good for relieving pain. I know the scar tissue is bad as I can hear is sort of squeak on the bend. Guess I'll just keep on keeping on hoping something will snap (besides me) and it will release. Good luck
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you are struggling Diane,....what was wrong for you to need a revision...?,

is it nerve pain or muscular or still surgical pain ? I hope it settles soon.....

• Posted

Sorry you are really struggling Diane.

I had TKR 3 and a half years ago but have never needed a revision.

Why did you need a revision in the first place?

Praying for you

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarh xxx

• Posted

Hi, i first had my knee replaced when I was 29 due to severe arthritis they tried multiple arthroscopys and drilling of the bones of which were all unsuccessful so they replaced my knee but it never really made a difference I was still in pain and continued to suffer my right knee started to cause problems and I had arthroscopys and a cartilage transplant but it failed so they replaced my right knee and then 13 years of pain in my left knee they decided that it was time to replace it as the spacer wore out and they found holes in my bones, I now have a revision in my left knee with rods to support the bones that were softening. It's been a long road of operations 
  • Posted

hi diane i know how you feel welcome to my world !!!! when i hear surgeons say there is nothing they can do it really brings out the red mist !!!!   do they realize the impact of those words  i doubht it they just want you to F**K OFF  sorry im so mad .im pretty much in the same boat ,im trying to strenghten my legs in the hope that the pain might go when my leg is stronger ,i am grasping at straws but ive got to have some hope .my physio has asked me did i go back to the surgeon for the 12mth check up ?? i have not i cant see the point in paying 100 euro to see him 65 euro for xray ,just to be told thats it no more can be done nothing is wrong with xray and pain is not his problem just mine .sorry for going on diane im 14mths post revision my bend improved not perfect but liveable ,straightening not 100% straight ,(never had that problem before revision )  we are just the unlucky ones that no surgeon wants to meet..we are paintig the house at the moment  my hubby doing most of it but im doing some of it but its after that my knee really hurts but i just keep going lets hopeyours improves i do hope so xx
  • Posted

Diane and Linda you make me realise how 'lucky' it is when TKR works. Praying you get some relief soon. XX

• Posted

thanks lynne yes your right im always happy to hear that so many go right . the rest of us have to work alot harder at recovery  tkr has changed our lives and its a matter of hoping we will either recover eventualy or learn to live with the leg we are left with sometimes i wonder if i would be better off amputating the leg and getting a prosthetic limb may sound way out there but if you end up pain free !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.